NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 15th, 2002, 06:07 AM   #931
Regular Crew

Ahh, very interesting. Learning more & more all the time. I appreciate your help.
Erik
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:17 AM   #932
Major Player

I was kinda let down on the inability to right click and down load your movie to the hard drive so I could see it full screen and compare the quality to my new GL2.

You can right click and save on my web page:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater17.html

Although some say it is choppy and some say it is very smooth, it depends on your system. You can play it full screen, about 8 MB I think, compressed but watchable.

But I suppose the length of your movie required a massive compression that would not look good full screen.

I really did not have time to look at your movie closely as I had a girl friend in my room who wanted me to edit her movie. But I will get a second chance to see it tonight, hopefully.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #933
maddog123

premier vs. fcp

FCP is a more expensive program, I am wondering what are the biggest advantages. if any. for someone doing small documentary style projects.
RH
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:40 PM   #934
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Erik,
Re: color bar calibration, the need for it depends on what you are "calibrating". Using bars to calibrate footage captures is largely a remnant of the analog world where relative signal strength dictated the appearance of captured imaging. But in the digital world a bit is a bit. You would normally make your primary image adjustments with the camera before shooting. The bits the camera lays onto tape are identical to those transferred from the tape to your computer. Adjustments in your computer's nle generally come under the heading of color correction and not calibration.

Calibrating studio reference monitors to SMPTE color bars, however, is still a necessary practice, initially and periodically, to ensure that you're able to accurately view your footage. (Note that I'm referring to crt-based professional monitors and televisions. LCD monitors are generally more problemmatic to accurately calibrate.) Video University has an excellent tutorial on this calibration prrocess at:

http://videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #935
Regular Crew

Well, as with all tools, it a matter of your own personal taste. Both Premiere and FCP have a basic toolset that is more than adequate for most projects you will encounter. I prefere FCP mostly because of its waveform & monitor tools and its excellent colorcorrection. These functions can be had in Premiere aswell with a plugin. Another good thing with FCP is the ability to create own transitions and effects without being a pro software developer. Though how many non-programmers that use that feature is another matter :)

Both programs will let you do what you are looking for. And both programs will have hardware support if you have the budget. What you use is in the end a matter of your personal taste.

Regards,
Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 05:17 PM   #936
doctorxex

FCP, imo, is quite superior to Premier in that it has an extensive palette of compositing tools. I'm sure this has all been covered before, so i went go to into it. Do a search on the forum.
Basically, to get all the features of FCP, you need both Premier and After Effects.

I find I am able to do all my compositing fx *within* FCP w/o ever touching AFX!
Old October 16th, 2002, 01:15 AM   #937
Regular Crew

Yes. but how often do you need compositing tools when doing small Documentary films =)

And there are compositing plugins to be had for Premiere aswell (if you dont wanna go full out and get AFX).

In the end, Premiere vs FCP vs Avid vs Edit* vs Whatever comes down to two things. Budget & personal preference. Its like with cars, do you need a Ferarri to drive to work or will a Honda do just as well? Both will get you to your destination if you drive them well, but one will do it faster (and more expensive (and with more people going ahhh when you swoosh past :) )

Regards,
Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM   #938

Not one response! Holy toledo!

This is my second post in this forum that went unanswered...so the stories must be true. There are only two people in the whole wide world using Macs for video and I'm one of them. The other doesn't like answering questions.

Oh well...seeyaz
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #939
Regular Crew

John:
...Here's the other guy using Macs for video! :-)
You've probably already tried this, but try Control + clicking the transition you've set and reselecting the placement of the transition (Center on Edit/start on edit/end on edit): I usually want center on transition, but I've noticed that my FCP sometimes selects one of the other options for no apparent reason.
My two bits...
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 08:15 AM   #940
Trustee

There is a much easier way to do a basic fade-in/fade-out...place your clip in the timeline (bag the two black clips). Set your timeline view to include rubber bands..(see the lower left corner of the timeline, click the button that looks like a line graph with two red points). The rubber bands are used to let you set the opacity of your clip. Use the pen tool to set keyframe points at the ends of the clip, and where you want your fade-in to end, and your fade-out to start, and then use the pointer tool to drag the endpoints of the rubber band to the bottom of the clip...render. Done. This is a very accurate way of controlling fading, as you can also set intermediate points to affect the "ramp" of the fade.

One other trick...if using this technique on a long clip, use the razor blade to separate out the transition areas of the clip (rendering will be faster.)

Barry (#3mac user)
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 09:22 AM   #941

Hey! There's three of us! Woohoo! I'm not alone!

Ram, thanks for the tip. I'd tried that and that's actually what had me baffled. Even though I control clicked the dissolve and typed in a new duration, FCP wouldn't accept it. Can't imagine why it won't let me.

But Barry...your suggestion sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I'd never even thought of doing it that way...so thanks! I'll test it out now.

Adios Mac Compadres.
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:07 PM   #942
Regular Crew

hard drives

Ive been checking out the prices on memory and hard drives. Im having trouble understanding how to tell the mac stuff from the PC stuff. Unless it has a chart or parragraph that tells me. Im lost.
Can someone help me out.

Also on a side note. Is there a difference in mac and PC monitors?
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #943

With respect to hard drives there really are no platform-specific distinctions. Interface type is the key issue. If you're looking for a drive that will mounted internally in a Power Mac G4, for example, you're looking for an ATA interface. If you're interested in an external drive you're looking for a FireWire interface. (FW drives are generally ATA drives mounted in an enclosure that provides the ATA-to-FireWire bridge interface.

Re: monitors, the display adapters in newer Power Macs feature Apple's ADC connector as well as a standard VGA connector. So you can use nearly any monitor with your Mac.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:32 PM   #944
Regular Crew

thank you for all your help. Now do you know by chance if the older version g4 quicksilvers have these adaptors to run any type of monitor?
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 08:26 PM   #945
Regular Crew

Barry: Great idea. I haven't tried that out either...am trying it out - NOW. There, it works!
John: It goes beyond the 'control+click+change duration' technique :-). Sometimes the simplest way, I've found, is to simply delete the transition from the timeline, save and close down the project, and open it again after a few seconds. The transition will now accept whatever duration you tell it to!
Macs rule - but boy, FCP can be quirky!
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite