FCS 2 now shipping - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #16
Major Player

It was an update, full box set all the manuals etc, must say much better packaging. Installing Quicktime update 7.1.6 now (needed for install) UK
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
It was an update, full box set all the manuals etc, must say much better packaging. Installing Quicktime update 7.1.6 now (needed for install) UK
Thanks

Update on the Final Cut Updates:

Mine shipped yesterday, just checked, and I will have it by 3:00 PM today. Awesome! Apple site Updated so anyone ordering the Updates now take from 1-5 days depending on which update you pick.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #18
Major Player

The whole package options ticked is:
36gigs or 40gigs with DVD Studio Pro NTSC templates.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Colour Base Look Settings

Apple Colour / Base Look Settings
Screen Grab

http://www.millermiller.co.uk/fcs2/colour_baselooks.jpg
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #20
Major Player

:(
I've not that long had FCS 1...although to be honest I've far from mastered that suite. I guess I shouldn't worry about this new version too much right? :)
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
The whole package options ticked is:
36gigs or 40gigs with DVD Studio Pro NTSC templates.
Wow, that's a lot! I was thinking it couldn't really be that large so I went over to Apple's site to check. But to my surprise, the full install is even larger... total of 59GB!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

Quote:
• 4GB of disk space required to install all applications (Final Cut Pro, Color, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, Cinema Tools, LiveType, Compressor, and Apple Qmaster)

•Additional 55GB required to install all optional templates, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks):

• 9GB for DVD Studio Pro content
• 8GB for Motion templates and tutorial media
• 24GB for Soundtrack Pro audio content
• 12GB for LiveFonts and LiveType animated elements and templates
• 2GB for Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio Tutorials media
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Wow, that's a lot! I was thinking it couldn't really be that large so I went over to Apple's site to check. But to my surprise, the full install is even larger... total of 59GB!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html
I have a Powerbook G4 with 80 gigs total! I think I am just going to install the updates to the Studio already without the added Content.

I also cannot install Color as of yet because it will not run on my notebook. I am getting a new Mac (likely the 24" iMac) once Apple puts them through another round of updates (likely at WWDC), then I will install everything.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Good gravy! That's a lot of sound effects, loops, etc., just for SoundTrack! I have a MacBook Pro, so I'll only be installing what I need.

heath
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #24
Major Player

Heath, It is but they are a good set of effects & loops
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #25
Major Player

We got our upgrade from FCPS today. A few quick observations:

-For geeks looking to a lot of changes to Final Cut, you'll be disappointed. There are under-the-hood changes and a few features. But 99% of it is not changed...all menus are nearly identical to before. A little disappointing...I always love radical ui changes. There are NONE of these in this release for FCP.

-The new "Stablecam" takes a LONG time to render. I did a 15 second clip and it took about an hour to "analyze" the clip. WAY too long to use regularly. I was on a slow machine...Intel iMac (I'm not upgrading on our main machines until bugs are worked out), but still.

-Master Templates rock! BUT, I probably won't use them for real client projects. Maybe some people will. They are very cool...just drop your shot into the box, change the text and poof...it looks like you designed a really nice graphic...which looks awfully similar to the graphics your competition has...because they used it, too. :-)

-Color may not be as much a fun app as I was thinking. It's pretty daunting when you open it up and it definitely does NOT look like an Apple app. The text on the opening splash screen is horrible...I am surprised it was release as-is. I'm sure it's an amazing app, though it's now out that it may have some bugs already. (It does NOT support drop frame timecode! Levels can still be non-broadcast safe.)

-Compressor has an all new ui. Seems great, though I thought it was going to have WMV's built in and I was hoping Sorenson .mov's were, as well. Neither. Episode and Squeeze remain in my life... At least it does now have the ability to burn in time code like Episode has had...

-Motion seems to have gotten the biggest overhaul. A lot of new filters and behaviors and all. I didn't get to fiddle much yet.

-Soundtrack Pro got some really nice updates. An all new mixer layout which is great. It also has a search function for "music beds" and you can search by mood, style, etc. Good stuff in STP.

-DVD SP? I think Apple forgot they owned that app...

So, I think there are some fun new toys and changes in the bundle, but do not think you're going to be blown away by Final Cut itself. I still think they have a rebuilt FCP in the works for the next OS. Surely this wasn't the one we were waiting 2 years for...

By the way, I ordered my FCPS Upgrade the day of NAB announcement and got it today. My date said a May 31st shipment until yesterday when it suddenly said shipped.

KW
-
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

FCP didn't change the look until the fourth iteration--maybe FCP 7 will have a new look. Color's GUI reminds me of the DVDSP 1 and 1.5 GUI--tough! I almost expect them to make that better, like DVDSP 2-4, in a couple of years.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite