DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture scratch incorrect ...

I have a problem that hasn't happened to me before. It's been about three months since I've used Final Cut Pro to capture raw material from miniDV tape.

I recently started a new project file, and set the scratch discs to my external hard drive. The problem is ... no matter what, when I go to capture new material, the program is taking matters into it's own hands and writing the files to my system hard drive rather than the external. Anyone know why this would be happening, it's really pretty annoying since the internal drive doesn't have all that much space. I figured I could just move them afterwards, but that's tedious in itself.

Anyone have an idea?

Matthew Overstreet
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

What version of FCP are you running? Older versions were a little annoying. If you started up FCP and your external hard drive wasn't available, capture scratch would automatically be switched to the documents folder on your startup drive without any warning.

But ever since FCP 5, if the selected capture drive isn't available you get a dialog box with a warning which says in order to preserve the integrity of your project, you need to put your drive online or designate a new one.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm working with Final Cut Pro 4. Well, I figured out the problem. It basically wanted me to select a specific folder within the drive. Before today, whenever I started a project, I'd just select the drive as the scratch disc and it would create a seperate project folder on the drive along with capture scratch, autosave vault and all that. Not sure why it was being picky today, oh well. Thanks for your help though. I'm probably going to purchase the newest version of Final Cut Pro as soon as I buy a new iMac.

Matthew Overstreet
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Wrangler

I sort of thought you had an older version of FCP :-) Are you really running FCP 4? At minimum I'd suggest upgrading to FCP 4.5 which you can download at Apple's site for free:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...utprohd45.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite