DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP HD - Capture with auto clips?

I'm just getting going on FCP from using Premiere Pro. Now, in PPro I just check a box in the capture settings to automatically create a new clip every place that the tape was paused, turned off, etc.

So far with FCP everything seems to be manual. I know there are 3 ways to capture but none of the ways seem to be automatically able to log the separate clips like PPro does.

This is a bit frustrating because it means that capturing is going to take twice as long (once through the tape to log all the in/out for the clips, then to run the batch capture). Am I missing something or is FCP just a manual beast?

If this topic has already been covered, please let me know what the search term for it is - i couldn't find anything with my search terms.

Thank you in advance.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Major Player

You can mark long clips after you capture them with the DV Start/Stop detection function. I don't actually use this, but there's a good description in the manual (it's on page 273 of my PDF manual).
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that info. I will read up on that tonight and give it a try.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're capturing HDV there is a checkbox to create new clips on DV start/stop just as in Premiere. Unfortunately it is not implemented in the SD capture. I use the start/stop DV detect all the time and it works fairly well. I then drag the resulting marks to a new bin creating individual subclips.
Lee Berger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite