DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple Cinema Display?

What might be the disadvantages to NOT purchasing an Apple Cinema display (the least expensive of which is around $700)? If I am considering buying a PowerMac G5, but want to cut cost on the monitor, can I get one of comparable or slightly less quality for a lower cost? What should I watch out for if I do so? Any brand/model suggestions?

Thanks.
Carolyn McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Real estate is always a good thing -- you can never have too much. I'd do a comparison with the Dell 24" widescreen. I can strongly recommend it.
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll second the Dell 2405. When on sale they are $799. Also look at the Dell 20" widescreens. Both models are cheaper than the Apples, and are as good, if not better quality.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions, but I need to spend less than the Apple Display cost of $700, not more. I know I could get a bigger and better monitor. But I can't afford it.

So, please, suggestions for lower priced but good models/brands? I'm on a very low/tight budget and video editing is not my day job (i.e. it's not a business expense).

Thanks.
Carolyn McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Then get any LCD you can afford. Viewsonics are good...as are Dells and HP.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Major Player

I have the Dell 2005 FPW which uses the same panel as the 20" Apple Cinema Display. You can usually get it for around $400 or so--- just keep checking out sites like www.dealmac.com for the coupon codes to enter at Dell's website.

I use one with my Powermac G5 and love it. It is not as sexy as the Apple one...but I wasn't going to pay four hundred bucks more just so it matches the G5 tower.

The Dell display also has a nice adjustable stand for both height and tilt, in addition to an assortment of inputs. You can also run it in portrait orientation if you have the right video card.

One caveat---initially, I thought the Dell was *too* bright and hurt my eyes, but after it "burns" in a bit[or maybe, because my eyes adjusted to it] it is a beautiful display.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
I have the Dell 2005 FPW which uses the same panel as the 20" Apple Cinema Display. You can usually get it for around $400 or so--- just keep checking out sites like www.dealmac.com for the coupon codes to enter at Dell's website.

I use one with my Powermac G5 and love it. It is not as sexy as the Apple one...but I wasn't going to pay four hundred bucks more just so it matches the G5 tower.

The Dell display also has a nice adjustable stand for both height and tilt, in addition to an assortment of inputs. You can also run it in portrait orientation if you have the right video card.

One caveat---initially, I thought the Dell was *too* bright and hurt my eyes, but after it "burns" in a bit[or maybe, because my eyes adjusted to it] it is a beautiful display.
I have to agree with him. I have two 20" Apple Monitors and my partner has two 20" Dell monitors sitting right next to mine. He got both monitors for just over what I paid for one of mine and they are more convenient to work with because of the adjusting height and tilts and are of the same quality.

Go with the Dells and save yourself a bit of cash.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Major Player

One more vote for the dell here, although I alos have a hyundai 19" and it is nice, but it has a pretty poor viewing angle so if you're not right in front of it, its kind of washed out.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Major Player

I just looked at the Dealmac.com website yesterday and

Dell is selling it at $363[with the coupon codes] for the 2005FPW.

Darn good deal.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have both apple and dell 20" -- get the Dell.

The Dell and the Apple both use the same Samsung LCD, but the electronics differ. The Dell tests brighter in comparisons.

The SWEETEST thing? The Dell has S-video, DVI, Analog, (and I think composite?) inputs, with a front panel selector AND picture-in-picture with selectable size, input, etc.

Which means you can hook up a DVD player or tuner or game console via S-vid and use it as a nice flat-panel TV. The Apple has only DVI. (I use the Dell to watch movies while I'm on my bike trainer... cycling season's here in Texas!)

Also, the Dell has a handy USB hub. It's not as sexy as the mac, but it ain't no slouch, either. Nice "wow" factor when people drop by your workstation.

(The 20" wide form factor of either beats out other flats panels, by the way. Simply amazing how useful the wider screen is.)
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Monitors...

Sorry to respond so late (was off in the Smoky Mtns. doing some research for a new documentary)...

Thanks for all the feedback on monitors. Looks like the Dell is a good option. (I've used them at work and have been pretty happy with results).

Thanks again.
Carolyn McGrath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite