DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 18th, 2002, 03:38 AM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka :

Oish...don't I know it. I think I've got it bad. I just bought the 16x manual lens for my XL1s. That means I now have every available lens and accessory (except the 3D lens which is mercifully out of production) for the XL1s. We need to start a support group here. -->>>

Ok, yesterday I did breakdown and added a new tool to the arsenal. Thanks to you, I am the proud owner of a new two button mouse with a center dial. Man it makes life so much better on my Mac. How did I live without this thing?!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #32
Regular Crew

This post is picking up off part of this thread from a while ago. At that point, I was negotiating with the IT people at my new job, long distance, for a computer that would handle video editing of lengthy, but not overly complicated projects intended for DVD. I eventually decided to go with a Mac platform and FCP3, as Ken and Jeff and others had suggested. I've arrived now, to find a G4 with a nice 17" NEC monitor. So far so good. The G4, however, is a 400Mhz single processor model, though it does have 512 RAM. They plan to add a Pioneer A05 DVD-R burner. Before we go farther, though, I'd like more experienced opinions on whether this machine is likely to be adequate for the task at hand. I know that one of you more expert people remarked once that this is about the level of machine that they routinely use, and if it's up to the job, it will save further wrangling. I am, however, likely to be using this machine for a while, and coming in is a better time to argue for an upgrade than later on. My only other concern is that I don't see Apple marketing this machine anymore, so it may well be a refugee from some student lab. Anyting other than the hard disk that is likely to go belly up? The other good news is that the software (OS X and FCP3) are all on site-license and up to the latest releases, but that would be true for any replacement as well.

Thanks for any opinions,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #33
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Linc,
Well, it looks like you're facing a good news/bad news story here.

Adequacy to task is, I suppose, a relative impression. I imagine that that G4-400 can get the job done for you, but Apple hasn't sold those for approximately 2 years. So it's clearly had a life before you.

With respect to FCP, you will not be able to get the most out of it. With the release of FCP3 Apple more or less declared that a G4-500 is their low water mark. Rendering effects, transitions and color corrections will be quite time-consuming and FCP will not produce any "real-time" rendering on that machine. ("Real-time" rendering is only available on 500MHz G4 processors and higher.)

The hard disk would be the other bogey I'd consider replacing.

My first Mac was a G4-500 dual processor so it's hard for me to speculate further on your Mac's adequacy. I suppose you should take FCP for a test drive on the machine to get a feeling for what you're up against.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #34
Warden

It is barely suitable for FCP 3 and will be not suitable for FCP 4. Dual Processors are the way to go. The Dual 450 or 500 will barely work with FCP 4 and a good portion of the features (at least that's the rumor). I would look at the Dual 867, which should drop in price in the next 30 days or so. I guess I would point out that future software (FCP 4) will be problematic and tell them you'll live with the 400 you have until the next price drop.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. My situation here seems to be clarifying a bit, and the choice is now between an 867 dual and a 1 G dual, both with 512, superdrive, and the cheaper video card. The difference in price is about $800 Can ($500 US), for the slightly higher processor speed and faster bus speed. Since this chunk comes out of my budget, my question now is whether the faster box is worth the money. I'm sorry to bother you again with this inquiry: if this were in the PC world, where I have more experience, and with software I'd used more extensively, I'd know the answer myself. I really appreciate the expertise found on this forum.

Thanks again,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #36
Warden

Don't worry about the video card. It make little if any difference in editing. I would get the 867 Dual Processor and use the savings to buy more Ram and another drive for FCP media. It can be internal (cheaper) or FireWire (more expensive).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #37
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yup. That's what I'd do on a limited budget, too. You'll get much more value from memory and/or the external media drive than you will from the extra processor horsepower.

So how did you wrestle-up from a G4-400? Tantrum? Blackmail?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Actually, it ended up just being clarification and getting the budget lines sorted out. Until last week, I'd been dealing with this long distance while managing a number of other things. Now that I am on site and can actually talk to people, it's working better, and, so far, its a fairly helpful environment. I hope it lasts: it's such a pleasant change from my last 20 yr gig.

Thanks again for the advice.

Linc
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite