DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: G-Raid or no G-Raid

The recommendations that RAID-0 arrays are necessary for video editing date back many years to when disk performance was far below what it is today. Personally I would much rather use higher performance drives in a RAID-1 array than lower performance 'Green' drives in a RAID-0 array. Using RAID-0 doubles your chances of losing data due to a single disk failure while RAID-1 prevents data loss due to a single disk failure.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: G-Raid or no G-Raid

Totally agree with you there Nigel but in two years I haven't lost a frame with my three disc raid 0 system and have had the benefit of the disc speed needed for my P2 AVC Intra 100 based shooting workflow.

The ideal is to get a raid 5 external array but like all systems they need to be specified in advance to take into account what is needed rather than buying what you think you need and then finding out that it doesn't suit your specified workflow!

Just look at disc based sony camera's people are not tending to use them and their second hand value is ziltch!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite