DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP performance G4 450 -> up'd 1.25Ghz

I have a G4 450 tower, looking to upgrae to a 1.25Ghz chip from OWC..

Question: how big of a performance jump will I see in FCP going from 450 to 1.25? Most of the work done on this machine would be simple cuts, not many transitions or rendered effects. I have FCP 4...

Specs:
G4 450
1.25GB ram
60 GB hd
FW external drive
3chip dv cam
Os X 10.3.9

Kinda stupid question, of COURSE it'll be faster, but how much so? Benchmarks available?
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

I purchased a processor upgrade from OWC and I didn't notice a huge increase in performance in FCP but I have no benchmarks to prove that.
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Wrangler

Personally I think processor upgrades are a poor value. A 450 is very slow so of course a 1.25ghz is better. I had to run FCP 4.5 on my powerbook for awhile during a recent trip. It's a 1ghz G4 with 1gb RAM. I had to tweak the RT extreme settings or it wanted to render everything. But after doing that I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran. Of course you needed to render everything for final output, but I could work with multiple layers and see transitions in draft quality realtime.

Still, I think the money would be better spent on a new machine... just about anything in the current lineup will run circles around your 450.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite