DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

imovie, Parallels, and Vegas

Does anyone know if it's feasible to use imovie 9 for rough cutting in a Parallels-generated environment, then move the files over to Sony Vegas for the fine cut and blu-ray creation?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This can work, but there are some SERIOUS caveats... Vegas won't understand your project file, so whatever you take over there will have to be in discreet files. Not a timeline. You'll also need to have a tool to read the Mac portion of your drives otherwise you can't get the physical files over. And finally, you'll probably want to use something like Avid DNxHD for the codec otherwise you'll battle the gamma shift bug.

But inside those parameters, can't see why it wouldn't work.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Given my own technical limitations (computer-phobe), I gather that this particular work-flow is not the simplist way to go then.
I don't know what the gamma shift bug is that you're referring to. But it doesn't sound very friendly!

So if I wanted to use imovie for one of its functions (being able to smooth out camera movement) on short scenes, what would be an "easy" way to then import those files into the Sony timeline?
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
So if I wanted to use imovie for one of its functions (being able to smooth out camera movement) on short scenes, what would be an "easy" way to then import those files into the Sony timeline?
The PC has MUCH better tools for this... Really.

Video editing work isn't really the domain for a computer phobe. Do you have a Mac? Why are you running Vegas? And which version of Vegas are you talking about. I just assumed you mean Vegas Pro but that's not a good assumption on my part.
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Always been a computer-phobe, haven't made the conversion to NLE willingly even tho' I've been shooting video since 1979 and the days of 3/4" tape.

Bought a macbook pro laptop recently to try out various software to see what agrees with me...was open to discovering something on either the PC or mac side. Altho' imovie seems to be ideal for doing quick and dirty rough cut work, Vegas Movie Studio (one step down from Vegas Pro) is starting to make sense to me. I'll probably be buying Vegas since I ultimately want to be able to author a BR.

What software is available that can smooth out hand-held jitters? (I make backpacking videos and the walking-while-shooting footage needs some help!)
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are a few programs out there, but a very popular one seems to be the Prodad Mercalli program. Apparently, it's pretty simple and very effective.
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

As a question, what does Vegas Movie Studio do that iMovie can't? Just curious as I don't use iMovie except for a few neat filters that are not available in Final Cut Pro. Also Vegas Movie Studio doesn't make BluRay discs according to Sony literature, only DVDs. For Blu-Ray it seems you'll have to spend $600 for Vegas Pro. Check to see if there is an upgrade path for projects started in Vegas Movie Studio. Also check to see if Vegas works in Windows emulation on the Mac. You might have to run Boot Camp (a hassle) or a different emulation program.

If you are looking to rough edit a film cheaply why don't you stick with the free software you have, iMovie. For $200 you can upgrade to Final Cut Express which imports iMovie projects and you can edit in the same environment as people with Final Cut Pro. While FCE lacks a few important features, you'll probably not need them and if in the end you do, you can always upgrade to Final Cut Pro or bring the entire project to someone who has Final Cut Pro for finishing. You have the computer already, why waste time with trying to wrangle something out with the Vegas application family?

And don't worry about authoring a BluRay until you are done with the project. By that time prices should have dropped, programs hopefully will have improved, BluRay will have some of the kinks worked out and you can option to take the finished product to someone who has a professional authoring program to make a BluRay master.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Wrangler

If you edit in iMovie, output the final video and then use Toast and an external Blu-Ray burner to make Blu-Ray discs from the Mac. This is probably the simplest way to do this with your Mac setup.

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum does support burning Blu-Ray from the timeline. To author BR discs with a menu use Vegas Pro + DVD Architect. It's generally recommended to run Vegas via Bootcamp. Parallels can be a hassle. Here's a comparison of the different versions of Vegas.

If you go the Vegas route, you can output a video file from iMovie directly to your Mac system disk - (if you are using Snow Leopard, not sure about previous versions). When you re-boot into Windows, you will be able to see the Mac system disk and your video file from within Windows.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Major Player

"If you go the Vegas route, you can output a video file from iMovie directly to your Mac system disk - (if you are using Snow Leopard, not sure about previous versions). When you re-boot into Windows, you will be able to see the Mac system disk and your video file from within Windows."

I sure hope you're right about that. When I was at the apple store yesterday, nobody seemed to know how to make the two operating systems talk to each other. One guy suggested putting the imovie file onto a thumb drive.

Vegas Movie Studio is actually very close to Vegas Pro in many ways. It's like what FCE is to FCP, I suppose, except it's half the price of FCE. It's upgradable to Vegas. Can't author BR but can burn BR directly from time line. imovie's audio controls are laughable whereas Movie Studio has everything you need for precise control.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Wrangler

Just to clarify, from within Bootcamp/Windows 7 (NTFS), I can read the following HFS drives: Mac System Disk & external firewire drives... see more here ...
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Major Player

So I guess my Windows XP won't allow me to see the mac drive while in bootcamp?
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Wrangler

The ability to read HFS volumes is part of Bootcamp 3.0. My understanding is that BC 3.0 supports Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack (needs more words) is quite a deal compared to Final Cut Express if it works as well. $115 direct from Sony, under $90 from other places. Anybody care to compare from real world experience?

If this is the way you want to go, first make sure you can work with it in Boot Camp and I suggest skipping iMovie completely unless you feel that having the video captured in QuickTime is a good idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite