G4 or G5? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #16
Warden

Mike, how much ram is on your G5 and what is the source of it?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I was hoping to hear from you on this one Jeff.

I've got 2.5 Gigs of ram. As far as the source, I'm not sure what you mean.

The machine was put together by Brian at Zotz though, so I'm sure he used the good stuff.

I'd be willing to try any suggestions you have. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:08 AM   #18
Tourist

sounds like you have a hardware issue.. (the freezing aspect of your crashes)

take any 3rd party RAM out and see how things run..
John Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #19
Warden

Mike, I'm sorry I missed your reply. I agree with John. It may be a ram issue. Remove all the ram except the pair of sticks in the first two slots. If no problems appear add pairs of sticks back in until problems start. The last pair added is your problem.

Apple used to have a hardware ram test for G4's. Do you have a disk that came with your G5 that says ram test? If so, run the test overnight and see if the machine crashes. The test needs to be run overnight to be effective. This would be a final test after removing the suspected bad ram. Most ram sold today has a lifetime guarantee, so don't worry. I'm sure Brian used the good stuff and you'll be OK. Post back how this worked.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

G5

Does any one have an idea when the new generation G5 are coming out. I started to purchase my system and read an article were the 2.26 G5 was suspose to come out at the end of march? Can any one verify ths rumor?. I am still using my premerier system and I am itching to get a G5 with FCP. Any info in this matter would be appericated.
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

As always, those who know are under an NDA and can't say. The rest of us can only guess. If you need a G5 RIGHT now, you might check out a refurbished G5 from the Apple Store.
Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz 512MB/160GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K $2,399.00

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/
"Special Deals"

I bought a refurbished 1.8GHz G5 at the end of last year, with extra memory direct from Crucial, and have had no troubles running FCP 4.
Old February 1st, 2004, 11:34 PM   #22
Inner Circle

New G5s are always coming out. It only makes sense to wait if you don't need a computer soon, or if something major (i.e. new G5 announcement) is going to happen *really soon*. I would check Mac rumour sites to see if something major is coming up in the very near future, otherwise I'd just get a computer now. If you wait for the next big thing you'll be waiting forever.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Follow up to earlier post

Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Since my last post the machine has been completely tested by an Apple tech. He found no hardware problems.

I've installed all the software upgrades (at least the ones I know of), but I'm still getting periodic audio/video freezes on playback.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Avery
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #24
Tourist

did you remove 3rd party ram?
John Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #25
Major Player

What is a good Mac rumour site? Taa.
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle

www.macrumors.com
www.macbidouille.com is excellent, but french and my high school french just gives me headaches.
http://www.thinksecret.com/
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #27
Regular Crew

No the RAM tested fine.
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #28
Warden

Ram tests aren't 100% fool proof and are useless unless tested overnight, like I indicated. I would remove all ram, except for the original two sticks and see if it freezes. If it does, you've eliminated ram as a probable cause. I would then suspect the HD as a possible cause.

Old February 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #29
Major Player

Mike,

A couple of performance things I might look at would be to look over on www.macosxhints.com to see how to make a program the top priority in CPU usage. This is something you need to do when you fire up FCP and if you restart you have to do it again.

I've used this and have noticed a little more pep in the program PLUS this might overcome something else sucking down processor power.

Also what you can do is launch either the Terminal and give it the "Top" command or the Activity Monitor and if the freeze happens look quickly to see if any other process is running harder then FCP.

You can also go into the program Directory Access in your utilities folder and switch off Rendezvous and Appletalk if you don't use them. If you don't have Bluetooth check to see that that stuff is disabled as well. I realized I had stuff running under this that I didn't have installed and it was wasting processing power.

Does FCP ever crash out? If so look in your user folder > Library > Logs at the crash log for FCP and see what kind of crash it gave you. It might help but it might not.

Have you (and I'm sure you have) re-installed FCP and the assorted upgrades?

Have you tried the system without upgrading all the way to 4.11 and just using 4.1 ? I heard a couple of people say something about 4.11 giving them problems but since all it pretty much does is add Chinese language sets to the program you could live without it.

Have you (and I'm sure you have) run the system diagnostic disk that came with the G5?

When the tech looked at the machine, do you know if he did a full surface scan of the HD?

Do you have more then one HD?

When you first got the machine, did you partition the HD?

Any external devices? Using the Apple USB keyboard?

I'm pretty sure Apple probably asked you all this stuff already but this is the train of thought I have to start in---

On a side-note, I know a number of people using FCP 4.11 on G5s with no problem.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #30
Regular Crew

G5

Any word on the new G5 and when they will be coming out? I read here were they might be G5 2.26. If so when will they be coming out?.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite