DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Fcp x & avchd

ok I got Final Cut Pro X and I cant import my footage. I use AVCHD Panasonic and it doesnt reconize it. Am I doing something wrong?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Fcp x & avchd

Hi Randy,

Could you explain how you tried to import the footage? And I'll try and help, had success with Sony AVCHD.
Scott Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Randy,

I've been able to import all formats recorded by my HMC150 - both from card contents on a hard drive, and directly from cards. Simply select 'Import from Camera' under the File menu (or Command i), click 'Open Archive' when the Import window opens, then select the card or card archive. The clips should show up in the window for import selection.

The only caveat I see at the moment is if you've recorded in 1080p60 (as on a TM700 for example): FCP X doesn't seem to see that format, so you'll have to change the clips in something like Clipwrap to make them compatible.

HTH
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Wrangler

I was able to import from a copy of a AVCHD card from a Panasonic camera by using camera import and "open archive."

However, even though I had the option to import all media into the Events folder turned off, it still made mov copies in the events folder that are apparently still H264.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Trustee

mmm...I didnt choose import from camera because I was using footage that was already on my hard drive. I browsed to the folders using import and I got a no compatable file error. Do I need to import from camera even if a camera is not involved?
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
mmm...I didnt choose import from camera because I was using footage that was already on my hard drive. I browsed to the folders using import and I got a no compatable file error. Do I need to import from camera even if a camera is not involved?
Usually my stuff is transferred from card to HD: select Import From Camera, then select the card data you wish to import (the PRIVATE folder), select the card when it appears under Camera in the list, and the clips appear for review and import.

Question: what format are you shooting? The reason I ask is it appears the 1080p60 format of AVCHD isn't currently compatible.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Follow Mark's instructions from his first post, that should work (unless 1080 50/60P).
Scott Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Trustee

All my stuff is 1080i 59.94 FCP X doesnt see the files in fact quicktime wont even play them. All I get is a generic thumbnail. Do I need a CODEC Is there a update to FCP X already?
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Wrangler

Even if you have copied your AVCHD cards to a hard drive you still need to use "Import from Camera" and then select the "Open Archive" button to navigate to the folder on your hard drive. You can select the top-level folder that the card copy PRIVATE folder is in and that will become the reel name.
The standard import isn't smart enough to realize that it is looking at a AVCHD file structure.
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks! I got it now unfortunatley Apple didnt change that AVCHD file structer thing that always annoyed me about FCP 5,6,7. I used to just copy the files over to a folder I was using and then I couldnt use FCP. Oh well at least I can play now.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X