DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #181
Major Player

Re: FCP X Now available to buy and download from App Store

Worth reading this article which addresses some of the 'perceived' major shortcomings of the program, and makes the case that everything is still possible:

Professional Video Editors Weigh In on Final Cut Pro X - NYTimes.com
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #182
Trustee

To sum up everything, it is time to buy some stock in Adobe and Avid!

If you haven't already done so, listen to Biscardi's and Harrington's podcast over at the cow - the link is listed several pages prior. After listening to them for just 30 minutes, you will understand that Apple had every intention of making FCPX a watered down, consumer-ish NLE.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #183
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
To sum up everything, it is time to buy some stock in Adobe and Avid!

No, Apple stock is still the way to go. They'll make more money this year off of iPhone 5 (if it's released in September) than they've made on FCP since 1999. Apple just needs to look at Sony and realize they can make tons and tons of money in the consumer market, yet still make 100%, no-compromise professional products.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #184
Trustee

So I'm guessing it was just a dream that Apple did a huge press release this mornIng and said, "Just kidding everyone! Here's the real FCPX!"
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #185
Major Player

And Conan's take on it: YouTube - ‪Conan O'Brien Slams Final Cut Pro X‬‏
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #186
Inner Circle

Conan's YouTube video is HILARIOUS!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #187
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Neubert View Post
i just got back from the London Supermeet. Interesting. Larry Jordan was there as well as a few representatives from 3rd party developers. From Larry's comments and (informed) answers to questions, all the necessary "hooks" to fix issues like OMF, XML and such are present in the software but Apple leaves it open to third party developers to come up with answers and solutions. Same with i/o card support.
My wife & I were also at the Supermeet yesterday evening & came away pretty reassured that our needs at least will be met by FCP X.

Oliver, were you the Swiss guy who won two raffle prizes but was then forced to give one back & insulted by the American compere because in his eyes you didn't show sufficient gratitude & enthusiasm for the prize by whooping & hollering like a lunatic?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #188
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Neubert View Post
i just got back from the London Supermeet. Interesting. Larry Jordan was there as well as a few representatives from 3rd party developers. From Larry's comments and (informed) answers to questions, all the necessary "hooks" to fix issues like OMF, XML and such are present in the software but Apple leaves it open to third party developers to come up with answers and solutions. Same with i/o card support.
So "hey, it's only $299" after which we let you pay serious bucks to add back all the functionality that was taken away." I wouldn't really appreciate that. I need to play around with this software a little bit more, but I have a gut feeling that Apple won't fix most of the complaints. Consumers > professionals.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #189
Major Player

Having lived and died through the cessation of Avid Liquid after Avid bought out Pinnacle and decided it was too good of an editing program to continue it as competitor to their own money maker, I suggest you forget that Final Cut Pro ever existed, and start learning a new program today and hope it doesn't die, too. Three years from now your mind should be filled with a viable, living, breathing workflow that gets better with new updates to the program and to the OS. Your mind won't still be picking through the dead bones of Final Cut Studio operating on the an Apple equivalent of Windows XP.

Last edited by Galen Rath; June 25th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #190
Major Player

Even Larry Jordan is backtracking now (and aiming at Apple):
Apple’s Challenges – Larry’s Blog

I've never witnessed such a publicity onslaught/mess as the launch of Final Cut Pro X. By now, I'am pretty sure that Steve Jobs himself is not happy with this. The only thing that can rescue Apple now is communication, in which they are really, really bad.

Silently fixing stuff won't work this time. People are angry, feel betrayed... and rightly so. All Apple 'evangelists' have spoken in fierce words that Apple blew this up, big time. Not good.I also noticed that my Google Reader and Twitter exploded after the Final Cut Pro X release. I've never seen the editing community so divided about something. Final Cut Pro X is disruptive in that regard; which is good. But it should've been a beta release or should have carried a new name. They also should not have ever, ever stopped Final Cut Pro support on the same day.

So:
1) Apple cares and communicates that clearly to us
2) Apple cares but doesn't communicate
3) Apple doesn't care

If they opt for 2/3 they will lose many customers. They will get back many more (Apple store magic, new price, prosumer appeal) but they will upset a large, loyal customer base that helped build the Apple brand. Also: after Shake, and now Final Cut Pro... what message does that send to aperture and Logic users? A very uncertain message. Time for damage control.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #191
Major Player

I still insist that everyone is wrong when they say Apple blew it, and just silly when they say Apple needs to make changes quickly to update FCPX. They knew what they were doing and they did it on purpose.

The writing on the wall says it clearly: FCPX is a program designed for the advanced non-broadcast user. Apple has unceremoniously ditched Shake, now Color, Soundtrack and Final Cut Studio. They are no longer in the market of providing to broadcast professionals.

And in terms of their business model, I think it makes great sense. I'm buying Apple stock. And Adobe Premiere.
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #192
Inner Circle

As an outside onlooker, I have to say I agree with Barry. I am not a Final Cut user, nor am I a Premieire Pro User. I was a premiere pro user until Adobe the continuous updatig expense and the clunkiness of the user interface drove me to Vegas 7, which I have used since then. I consider myself one of those advanced prosumers, and interestingly, when I started hearing about FCP X, and its little improvements, I couldn't help think that we already have most of what is called "new" FCP X in Vegas.

Point is I think it is clear that there is no real money in maintaining a heavy duty pro editing systems for a few editing houses out there, and those that need that kind of support are probably going to have to pay dearly for plug ins and adaptations.
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #193
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
The Inevitable video (but sums up what I've been hearing effectively enough):

YouTube - ‪Hitler hates FCP X‬‏
That was pretty good.
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #194
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
As an outside onlooker, I have to say I agree with Barry. I am not a Final Cut user, nor am I a Premieire Pro User. I was a premiere pro user until Adobe the continuous updatig expense and the clunkiness of the user interface drove me to Vegas 7, which I have used since then. I consider myself one of those advanced prosumers, and interestingly, when I started hearing about FCP X, and its little improvements, I couldn't help think that we already have most of what is called "new" FCP X in Vegas.

Point is I think it is clear that there is no real money in maintaining a heavy duty pro editing systems for a few editing houses out there, and those that need that kind of support are probably going to have to pay dearly for plug ins and adaptations.
Uh-oh. You said the V-word. You're in for it now, Bub.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #195
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
That was pretty good.
I agree - I've watched a few of these and it's amazing how a few subtitles can be so good (only if you don't speak German mind you!). This one gets is just right - it all comes down to the text content, the pacing, the level of invective, even the punctuation etc - many miss the mark woefully but this is almost believable!
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X