By Your Side (5dmk2 video) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #1
By Your Side (5dmk2 video)
Simpson Yiu Simpson Yiu is offline January 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Hey everyone.. I'm a newb here on this forum. Just want to introduce myself first.. I've been a photographer for about 3-4 years now (semi serious) and that has lead me to get a job as a video producer assistant (6 months). I just received the canon 5d mk2 and this is my first video that I've shot with this camera.

By Your Side (short film) on Vimeo

Comments and critiques are welcomed..

Simpson Yiu
New Boot
Views: 3206
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey, great job Simpson. Of course any video / photo of a beautiful girl, is always a winner in my book!!

I kinda get the feeling you were rushed for time on this video; meaning you could have added some more filler shots. Location looked like Santana Row?! If so, I'm surprised they let you film there!!

Otherwise, would you enlighten us on the specifics of your equipment used; (lenses, lighting, sound, memory cards)?

Thanks for sharing Simpson!!

AC
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Agreed. Good Stuff.
Took me a second to get the story. Well framed, good ambient light, nice bokeh.
I know the slow motion was a stylistic choice but it took me out the element because of the "frame blending". I'd recommend AE CS3 for making the motion smoother.
I'm jealous of your wide lens - Are you able to control these apertures manually?

On a side note : The more footage I see with 5DII - the more it necessitates a tripod (IMHO). It seems on shoulder mount cameras the type of movement or camera play is different and more acceptable. A double edge sword though - who wants to bring a tripod when it looks like you're shooting stills (especially if you don't have a permit).

Good work Simpson and welcome.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #4
New Boot

Simpson

Very nice work

Did you use FCP to edit ?

Also, checked out you website - great still stuff as well

Best
Jay
Jay Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Looks great Simpson - just curious did you make any attempt to manually control the aperture or just let the camera sort it out? To my eye it looks like too much dof to have hit 1.2 anywhere, and I'm wondering if the camera has a lower limit on f-stop regardless of the lens' capabilities. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm finding even f2 on my nikon 85mm can put a person's nose out of focus even when their eyes are in focus...
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #6
New Boot

Jayne Chen - Model Video

Here's my second video made with my 5dmk2. It stars Model Jayne Chen.

Lost Without You (A 5dmkII film) on Vimeo

For more of her work, please visit her website.
The Official Website of Jayne Chen
Simpson Yiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Simpson, could you please take a moment to address the questions our members are asking in this thread? Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Hey, great job Simpson. Of course any video / photo of a beautiful girl, is always a winner in my book!!

I kinda get the feeling you were rushed for time on this video; meaning you could have added some more filler shots. Location looked like Santana Row?! If so, I'm surprised they let you film there!!

Otherwise, would you enlighten us on the specifics of your equipment used; (lenses, lighting, sound, memory cards)?

Thanks for sharing Simpson!!

AC
Yes the outdoors video was rushed since it was filmed at Santana Row. They do not like cameras there (anything big and with a tripod). I had only a few scenes out in the open and at the end they wanted me to stop. I had a rolling suitcase bag with me but it was just a camera and a 10 dollar tripod most of the time and a hotshoe camcorder light.

I mainly used the 85mm f1.2L II lens and the wide shots I used the 28mm f1.8 lens. Sound I still don't have a mic so I'm just doing music videos for now. Lights I have a canon camcorder light with a tiny softbox on top. Memory cards I have a 16gb cf card but I only used about 4gb for this shoot.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson Yiu View Post
I mainly used the 85mm f1.2L II lens and the wide shots I used the 28mm f1.8 lens. Sound I still don't have a mic so I'm just doing music videos for now. Lights I have a canon camcorder light with a tiny softbox on top. Memory cards I have a 16gb cf card but I only used about 4gb for this shoot.
Nice second video Simpson; excellent photograhy!! I noticed at the end of the video you had like the "outakes" with sound. Regarding that, did you utilize an external mic, sound recorder or was that just from the camera's mic?

By the way, what are you using to edit with?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Nice second video Simpson; excellent photograhy!! I noticed at the end of the video you had like the "outakes" with sound. Regarding that, did you utilize an external mic, sound recorder or was that just from the camera's mic?

By the way, what are you using to edit with?
That was with the internal mic. There's a lot of background noise that I would normally clean up but I put a background song on there so it's not too noticeable. I'm planning on getting a rode stereo mic ($250) that fits on the hotshoe.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #11
New Boot

Yes I used FCP to edit both videos.. It's what I use for most video work.. I'm learning after effects at work so I can do some motion graphics with that pretty decent now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Connor View Post
Simpson

Very nice work

Did you use FCP to edit ?

Also, checked out you website - great still stuff as well

Best
Jay
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #12
New Boot

Thanks Simpson

FCP is what I am trying to learn

A little off topic but I saw the wedding video on your web site (the Redstripe one) and loved it

Can you tell me how you achieved some of the effects (esp the one @ 20 seconds of the couple in that gazebo)

Best
Jay
Jay Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM   #13
New Boot

Hi Jay,

That video was all done with After Effect.. That's all different layers of photos and animated in a 3d environment using AE. It's a lot of prep work but AE makes it to animate.

-Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Connor View Post
Thanks Simpson

FCP is what I am trying to learn

A little off topic but I saw the wedding video on your web site (the Redstripe one) and loved it

Can you tell me how you achieved some of the effects (esp the one @ 20 seconds of the couple in that gazebo)

Best
Jay
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #14
New Boot

Simpson

Really nice work. Thanks for sharing. Gets me inspired . .

Neil
Neil Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #15
Trustee

Nice job, Simpson. I think yr photography is good!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery