DVC8- Chris Barcellos "The Ratings Game" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

chris, man, what can i say? thats a damn fine submission!
i'm so jealous of that setup you had, it had nice shallow depth of field going, nice lighting too!

really great stuff!
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #17
Trustee

I loved the lighting but I wish you had varied the camera angles a bit during his monologue. I almost left with the grandkids! :-) I did feel a bit nostalgic, however, since I have an uncle who regaled us with stories like that (my Godfather, actually). Oh, and we dared not get up and leave before his story ended!

Thank you!
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris,

I liked the way the light falloff framed Grandpa's isolation in this new high tech world...very nice. I agree with Hugh though on the monologue. I understand time was short and actually filming a re-enactment would be impossible. But I would have liked to see some ECU's of Grandpa's mouth from profile while talking, and maybe his fingers fidgeting with his glasses. I feel it would have made a more artist use of your DOF setup, and would have been more sentimental for his age (close-up on wrinkled hands and such).

Where can I buy me some alligator army boots?!
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Chris,

Your movie was really sad! I nearly cried at the end! Good message!

I can definately relate to the never-ending grandpa stories, but then being older I think they're facinating and don't find myself walking away...lol he doesn't have any about beating alligatos with paddles to make army boots though! :)

I too really loved the sillouette look! I think I'm with Hugh & Brent about adding in some cutaways of Grandpa, though...Although the more I think about it not changing the camera at all sort of adds to the bored feeling the kids must've been experiencing...so it actually could work as is.

Overall good entry!
Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #20
Major Player

OK if nothing else you made me chortle (not quite guffaw) with "alligator boots for the army"

I was ready for you to break into the "Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Driftwood...

"Well, we fired our cannon til the barrel melted down,
so we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind,
and when they tetched the powder off, the gator lost his mind."

Nice DOF stuff.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Major Player

I really like this on two levels. First, the look of it was really striking to me. It seemed much more like film than video, between the shallow DOF and the lighting effects you had. It was really enjoyable just watching it.

Second, I really liked the message. The text at the end was sort of like being hit over the head with the implications- sad but I think a good and important message.

I have mixed feelings on what others have suggested on varying the camera angles. To me, the way it was shot- both literally, and with a fairly constant camera angle, exaggerated the way he could be perceived as boring by the grandkids. So in the context of this film, I think it worked to create that mood.

This was a great film, with an important message.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Ruth:

Thanks for the kind comments. Happy about the film look, as that was where I was trying to go.

This story has some family background. My father used to tell an alligator hunting story to his grandkids, my kids, and my sibs kids.... Got to be quite a story as he embelished it.... They knew it was a story, but at the same time, had fun with it... And we his kids knew he never had anything to do with hunting anything.

Anyway, fast forward to today, and he is a lot like the guy in the movie, nobody is really listening to the stories anymore...it hard on him and us.....
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Cutaways, etc: I did do some CUs at beginning, of movie, and did consider adding more during editing. Ultimately, decided to treat it the same as if we were behind the kids on while they were watching to TV....
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #24
Major Player

Interesting looks and felt the intended boring aspect of it, poor grandpa, the TV took over :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #25
Major Player

I really loved the lighting on the grandpa, he seemed to glow...really cool. I also enjoyed how you framed him (the kids as the frame and him in the middle), nice look.

Great writing, very rich story telling. I think it would have been funny to add more of the time passing type editing cuts and maybe have him go off on more tangents etc...

Cool work...and great concept.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #26
Trustee

Chris,

I liked the look and feel of it. Like others have said you had a real filmic look to it but beyond that, the lighting and focus seemed to me to add to the growing isolation GrandPa was obviously experiencing.

I'm a Grandpa myself, last year my 17 yr old went with me to a military reunion in San Antonio. The "Society Of Old Backenders" (those of us who operated electronic equipment riding in the "back" of specially configured recon aircraft) met in a small meeting room and began to "swap stories" of outrageous mischief and "bawdy house" visits.

Grandson's eyes got wider and wider as it became apparent that I had been a party to some of what was included in the tales. No boredom there...

But I did remind him that what happened in Tokyo, Tachikawa, and other places mentioned needed to stay there.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!