Adrinn Chellton rethinks career goals... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 31st, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adrinn Chellton rethinks career goals...

After carefully reviewing the rest of the field I have come to the realization that maybe I need to rethink my career goals !! no really, good show all! Maybe I can lift my bar next run so I can actually compete now that I know what I'm up against.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not true!! I wish I could figure out a way to change the subject line of your thread.

I thought your movie was quite interesting, Adrinn, and gutsy on top of everything else. The moon, a fickle and betraying female? Whoa!!! lol

Your voiceover work was good, your images pleasant and beautiful. What's the story on the color of the sky at 1:46? It's really pretty.

I'll be watching for you in DVC7! :)
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Lorinda you are too kind! I enjoyed your film too, interesting angles and a funny story help it along =) I really liked the hands coming out of the sky to take the beer back.

As for my entry, it was my first ever attampt at a voice-over. It's tough to string 20+ voice clips together and make them sound like a monologue. Had at least 8 takes of each one. The sky at 1:46 was made in after effects wanted to make a day shot look like a night one.

I'll most certainly be back for DVC 7 this stuff is fun and if I keep trying I might even get better at it, who knows?
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Get out..... I really liked the story. There were some really nice images. I think the only thing that I didn't like was the voice over quality. When you are recording a voice over with a mic, there are a couple of things you should look out for technique wise. 1- don't get so close up on the mic. 2- if you have a pop filter, use it. If you don't, you can make one out of panty hose and a coat hanger. just bend a coat hanger into a circle or square and stretch the pany hose over it and either hold it with your hand or secure it somehow in front of the mic. this will diffuse the "P's". You can also place the mic facing down on your mouth or facing up from the bottom so that the wind from your mouth doesn't hit the mic directly. This will make a huge difference in your film presentation.

Thanks for sharing. I really did like the story a lot.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrinn Chellton
I'll most certainly be back for DVC 7 this stuff is fun and if I keep trying I might even get better at it, who knows?
That's the way to think! We'll all have a great time, as usual.

You changed the title! Thank you!! :)
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Get out..... I really liked the story. There were some really nice images. I think the only thing that I didn't like was the voice over quality. When you are recording a voice over with a mic, there are a couple of things you should look out for technique wise. 1- don't get so close up on the mic. 2- if you have a pop filter, use it. If you don't, you can make one out of panty hose and a coat hanger. just bend a coat hanger into a circle or square and stretch the pany hose over it and either hold it with your hand or secure it somehow in front of the mic. this will diffuse the "P's". You can also place the mic facing down on your mouth or facing up from the bottom so that the wind from your mouth doesn't hit the mic directly. This will make a huge difference in your film presentation.

Thanks for sharing. I really did like the story a lot.
Michael:

What's your favorite brand of panty hose ? That stuff left our house about the 1990's, along with dresses.... :)
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Interestingly phrased question there - and very bad visualls followed it. Nothing more disturbing, at least to me, than big hairy man legs in pantyhose.

Brrrrrr. I can't even think about it.

One other similar method, stand sideways to the mic a bit. Basically, any position to keep you from being able to directly blow air at the element will help. Look at our fine sponsors or Markertek for cost effective "pop-stoppers" or similar. They really are just a mesh over a round frame with a gooseneck clamp.

Thinking back, you could probably make a really nice looking version with one of those small embroidry hoops, some left over black paint and a pair of black pantyhose. If you put too much effort into it, you might as well buy one however as the cost effectivness factor will disipate with the amount of effort.

Then again, get 3 or four folks to split the cost on some items and make 4 or 5 of them.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Michael:

What's your favorite brand of panty hose ? That stuff left our house about the 1990's, along with dresses.... :)
I personally like fishnets, but they don't work so well as a popper stopper. After you go and mutilate a pair, you can take the leftover and try it out as a filter over the camera.

sean, yeah those hoop things work great.

Other neat tricks with pop filters:

tape a pencil in the middle of the pop filter and it amazingly de-ess's too. don't ask, I don't know why.

take two pop filters and space them about 1-2 centimeters apart and this will de-ss your vocal too.

Doing voiceovers? set the mic up in front of your curtains, works great as an absorber and a diffusor.

can't give you all of my recording secrets in one shot. so I'll stop here.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ohh, I was just kidding with the title although it may have been a bit over the top.. I have a tendency towards humorous self-degradation, been a fault of mine since I learned I wasn't the god of the world. Thanks for the tips on mic screening, I held the mic properly just haven't mastered speaking into it likewise.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!