DVC 5 FeedBack - Sherman Reflects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC 5 FeedBack - Sherman Reflects

Here's the feedback thread for "Sherman Reflects"

Equipment: I used a Panasonic um..PSGV-65, home depot lights :), polarizier filter, Stuffed Fish, Rock..etc :D hehe

Edited in Sony Vegas...
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey, Darryl, glad to see the thread show up, I wanted to thank you for the laughs. Great movie, and it looks like the friend took his job smacking Sherman in the face very seriously; "No, no, it's for the sake of the film, I have to make it look convincing, here, let me try again." I don't think I would've been able to keep a straight face while shooting a scene like that, whether I was delivering or receiving the hit. Personally, I think I laughed more at that than I did at the ending. Still funny, of course, just not as much.

I would offer the critique that the phone conversation wasn't the best, but I had the exact same problem in my short; tough to do right, I'm thinking we should all just avoid phones completely.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Wrangler

okay, so...i could happily have lived out the rest of my days without putting an eyeball to the image this guy humping his bed. but it was all worth it, to get a close-up of him kissing a stuffed fish in the end...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Trustee

You my friend are quite brave. It reminds me of those fainting goats. Ever see those things. One loud noise and they're out and they fall over. I can see a little cartoon version of them falling down all at the same time over and over in a rain storm.

Very fun idea. Good job.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Darryl!

You did a nice job with your film. Plus, it looks like it was fun to shoot.

That opening shot will certainly get people's attention! lol I assume that was exactly what you wanted. Of course, I was definitely rooting for him to get the girl. After all, he spent quality time to clean up his toes with that toothbrush! However, if he's pleased with a stuffed clown fish, well more power to him.

For me, the download took quite some time to complete. Perhaps consider a .mov QT or .wmv file? Just a suggestion.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So I can see the interview on the Jimmy Kimmel Show now:

"So was the Fish a good kisser ?"

Very interesting film which provides an in depth exploration of human sexuality... Oh, not really. It was just funny in a kinky kind of way.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Darryl,

It's going to be tough to get a lot of feedback on your short when you open with a guy humping the bed. Think of a bunch of family guys with four year olds sitting on their laps while they watch the short. I tried to watch your film again tonight, (after my kids are in bed) but I have trouble with my Flash player. It is not loading. Post a Quicktime or WMV file and I'll try again.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #8
Trustee

Sherman:

Nice use of natural light. Great "Our Man Flint" phone ring. You composed the split screen properly by having the talent facing each other. You did stretch it a bit with the theme, but hey, it's all about interpretation. Most notable was the fact that I actually felt sorry for Sherman! When you can get the audience to empathize with your character, well, you've done your job. Thank you!
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey, Thank you all for the feedback: (Robert, Meryem, Sean, Bradley, Chris Dick, Hugh)
You guys are really cool and laid back here at DVinfo, and I feel good.

I'll try and post it somewhere else on the net as a .mov or a .wmv

This was a fun project, and I'm glad you found pieces in it that were interesting or funny.
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Major Player

I hate doing this, but I have to agree with Dick Mays. I loaded it up at work, saw that first scene, and closed it again. I watched it later, but really didn't get into it much. It wasn't a bad idea (him not being able to deal with girls) but I felt like that could have been shown in more creative and artful ways than the guy doing it with a stuffed fish. Hope I don't make too many enemies here, but that's the way I felt about it. It was okay for a chuckle, but didn't go much farther than that for me.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Sorry for the embarrasment or discomfort, that the opening scene may have caused anyone. I hope no harm was done.
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #12
Major Player

I thought it was pretty funny, although I didn't get the rock part. At first I couldn't even tell what it was. And you open mouth kissed that fish (I thought about how long it took to get the fuzzy hair off your tongue). I thought the face slapping went a bit too long but was funny. but other than that I found it funny and the story came through.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
I thought it was pretty funny, although I didn't get the rock part. At first I couldn't even tell what it was. And you open mouth kissed that fish (I thought about how long it took to get the fuzzy hair off your tongue). I thought the face slapping went a bit too long but was funny. but other than that I found it funny and the story came through.
LOL...I didn't act in the movie :)

I had to cast a professional stuffed animal kisser for this flick.
Darryl Ahye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!