The Long Shot - Hugh DiMauro - DVC 13 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Hugh,

I'll take you up on the offer! drop me a line when you are back east.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #17
Trustee

Dick: The sky was a beautiful eggshell blue and my secret is none other than 80% zebras and opening the iris just until I barely see the stripes. Oh, and two glass ND filters in front of the lens and a huge reflector which blew out the actors' eyesight. I wanted to set Monte Ralls ablaze but he was afraid his girlfriend would get mad.

Bill: It's a deal, my friend,

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #18
Major Player

You'll notice a theme, but I'm trying not to read anybody's comments before writing my own. I find it makes me second guess what I was thinking. And I'd rather people get the "I watched it once and here's what I thought reaction" since in an actual theater you only get one viewing to form an opinion.

I have to say, I loved this. The camera angles and movement were great. The writing was good, the dialog really felt like a conversation you might say. The actors delivered it well. The music was good. It was fun. And the twist, while not exactly surprising, was nicely played. Plus this city girl from the north got to see a horseshoe getting made. How cool was that?

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #19
Trustee

Kris:

This city boy from the north thanks you and even I immensely enjoyed watching a horseshoe being made. He used to be able to knock out two at a time! Can you imagine?
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hugo, okay, I kid you not... your film was so engaging that right after I watched it, I went on wikipedia and looked up horseshoes! Lol... great montage! I can't explain it -- there just has to be a certain flow, a certain pace and timing with montages, and you hit it right on the nail (no pun intended).

Kudos to your actors, too. The cowboy was great... loved the final shot at the end. Very dramatic... And the one who thought of the kitty litter bit -- a great bit of metaphoring. I'm a fan of that.

Beautiful use of scenery. I'm a city boy, and sometimes long to see more of those wide open roads.

Wait... what's that reflecting against the red truck? It's the cameraman's shadow! Hehe... it's only for a split half-second and not noticeable... but they're like easter eggs to me.

Regarding the fire... what if you cut from the gasoline spilling off the roof right to the long shot panning to the close-up, and add a faint scream or fiery "woof" before the shot gets to the cowboy? Essentially, you don't see the gasoline spill on the gambler... just the red container tip and spill, then a long scenic shot with some faint screaming in the distance, concluded with the pan of the cowboy shaking his head. The newspaper following that will do the rest. Not sure if it will work, but if you give it a try, lemme know how it turns out.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Trustee

Wonderful Ideas, Joseph!

My fiery ending did have me somewhat perplexed. I have a pitiful sound effects library and my pre-keyed fire effects are just what I had paid for. Your alternate ending would have been more powerful than mine. Now, if you would have PM'ed me with that idea before I edited the ending... :-)

Thank you, Joseph, for your wonderful feedback. I love how you think outside the frame.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Great film. The actors were great and the timing was right on. It was a good story and really made great use of the theme. As for the effects at the end--I thought the bit of fire special effects made it even funnier.
Paul Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #23
Trustee

Thank You, Paul

I appreciate your comments. I am glad you found the amateurish fire effect funnier than if I had done a better job.

By the way, Joseph, you did catch my reflection in the side of the truck. I had tried so hard to back away in time without my reflection showing, however, I was close to a drainage ditch and didn't want to fall in!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!