dvc9 - The Otherside - Randy Allen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

dvc9 - The Otherside - Randy Allen

Well here we go.....some things about my entry:

The audio stinks....gota work on that.
Make sure the camera is recording.....lost about 10 minutes of footage.

I had a lot of fun with this. I'll edit in the link here when Dylan posts the films. Thanks for watching.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Trustee

It was interesting to see the "otherside" of those meetings. What made you compelled to protest the rezoning?

Nice cuts, nice VO work. Great job Randy
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Marco....thanks for the kind words.

I did not want a body shop in my residental neighborhood. The building is already there, and has been used in the past as a general contractor's warehouse. I really don't mind the auto repair shop, I do some shadetree stuff myself. My main concern was zoning a piece of land as Commercial in the middle of, not on the edges of, but in the middle of my residental neighborhood.

If you want to see the full meeting it is at
www.romega.us/Archive.asp?ADID=207

When the video player loads you can select the part of the meeting that you want to view.

Thanks for watching....

Randy
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Interesting. Your neighbors should thank you for saving the neighborhood. I agree with Marco, nice cuts and nice video work.

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

As one who has spent way too much time having to sit through city and county government meetings, my first thought was, "Nooooooooo!" (lol) But...I got intriqued with the twist of you, as security/camera guy, having to leave your post to comment. That was pretty cool. :)
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Stacy and Lorinda:

Thanks for the comments. I cut out a small clip right after the first shot of me at the desk. It showed a closeup of one of the camera's and the VO went something to the effect of "These are my eyes into the room. With these 3 cameras I record everything that happens" but I felt like it made the transition from opening to the meeting feel wrong.

We film the meetings for airing on our local PEG cable channel. The city was nice and spent a boat load of money to install 3 robotic PTZ cameras. I used to stand behind a single GL-2 all night and then cause people to get sick when I fast panned from one end of the desk to the other.:D

I have been hoping to find a way to use the system for a DVC or UWOL. When Dylan announced the theme I was real happy.

Randy
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Randy,
I have to say that this was easily one of my favorites. As you noted, probably not a perfect production, but I found the content so compelling, like being invited into another world, into a realm of daily life that we don't know much about, or don't even think about.

I thought your title was excellent, in the sense of both inviting the viewer to the 'other side' of the meetings - behind the cameras, and having you come out from 'anonymity' as you called it to stand in front of the cameras.

You took 30 minutes of footage documenting an important local subject, and deftly cut it down in a way that imparts the message, as well as tells a story about your own life and work.

Very well done.

I loved it.

-Jon
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Jon:

Thank you for the kind words. They do make the process worthwhile. I really had not considered the double meaning of the title, and as much as I would like to take credit for that I can not. I approached this idea mainly as my having to go to the otherside.

I glad you enjoyed it.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!