DVC9 Feedback - "Work Ethics" - Lisa Shofner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC9 Feedback - "Work Ethics" - Lisa Shofner

Well, I stayed off the wall of shame this time. The compression messed up my color correcting a bit, but the rest seems alright (ran out of time, couldn't recompress). Let me know what you think.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

wow, um.... I'm really scared now, because my work ethic isn't the greatest and my boss prefers the dark office with no windows...

LOL!!!

Great short Lisa, I really liked the boss' dialog style. I think the short came out pretty good!
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Lisa: I thought it looked great. Great story, greatly executed.

Thanks for the fun.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Lisa. Where do I find your film?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Geir,

I believe my link is being released tomorrow in the last group. Just keep watching the finalists thread, Dylan will get my link up there when it's my turn.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Trustee

Promise, promise, promise...
From now on I'll do my work honest and with grace and I'll never raise my voice again, at least not in front of my boss!!!
That was a great plot Lisa and the ending, so unexpected.
I'm not sure if it's youtube, but I've got 2 things to remark; a bit dark and the voices a bit low in some of the scenes. But what the h...
it's a great story and the music was great too.
Wish you all the best.

Geir Inge
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Major Player

I was actually going for the dark (though i guess it'd be even darker depending on a vieweres pc monitor). As for the voices - I actually figured out how to fix that last night! It's a problem I have in a lot of movies. Too bad it's too late for this one, but next time I shouldn't have any issues with voices (YEAH!)

Thanks for checkin it out.
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Lisa....please share your solution.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Trustee

I'm not that much of a horror or vampire genre fan, but you did extremely well on this one. Strung me right along and then WHAMMO! (or should I say "chomp".

Took me totally by surprise.

Camera work and all the technical things look great, acting was right on, and editing looks smooth. I actually saw both versions, the first when a lot of our stuff was showing up on YouTube before Dylan found a way to lock some of them up, and the second when you posted that.

Very skillfully done.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Felt like you were aiming for dark and moody lighting, but it ended up just sort of dark. A little judicious editing both at the script stage and in post probably could have gotten the story told within the time limit. I like a good vampire story though, which is probably why I guessed the ending as soon as the guy said the boss never comes in until after dark. I'm glad others were surprised by it. It was nicely done.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I've got to admit, I didn't see it coming. Nice touch. Well done.

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #12
Wrangler

Count me in with the ones who were taken by surprise. I thought the boss was creepy but didn’t see him as a vampire.

What I didn’t notice the first time through (which is good!) is how nice your shots and editing were for the sequence with Jake jumping up from his desk and running up the stairs to the office door. Really well done. Loved the way he adjusted himself before he walked into the office too. :)

Nice job, Lisa.
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The ending definitely suprised me too. Good job on the submission.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Trustee

Other than what others have already noted above and audio and lights, and perhaps a little tighter editing during the dialogue, I think you really pulled together a great piece that really pulled a number on me. The vampire bit came as a total surprise, and it looked great too.

I think your actors were perfectly cast and performed excellently in their roles. This begs for more of this vampire character.

I especially liked the effect you used to have the vampire fly from his chair. It looked cool and took me completely by surprise.

A great piece, and fun to watch.

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!