My DIY sub-$40 slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Tourist

My DIY sub-$40 slider

I've been reading about DIY camera sliders which seem as complicated as a Rube Goldberg drawing. I woke up one morning with a thought: A rain gutter. Well, at Loew's, I was looking at the gutters and found them to be too flimsy, so I went to the irrigation supply section. There I found the Spee-d drainage system. The troughs were in 4' and 10' sections and there were grates to cover the sections with. I grabbed a 4' section (the 10' section is $55) and a 2' grate...some 1/4" screws and washers and off I went.

I tried a test video at the waterfalls at Inverrary, FL and edited in half-speed with Magic Bullet Looks Green Pearl with a shift to blue, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12. No tripod or fluid head mount yet.

Feedback?

My sub-$40 camera slider on Vimeo
Keith Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Video looks good. How did you put the slider together? Any details?
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Nice. The parts are not available at my local Lowe's but they can be ordered from Lowe's on-line and picked up at the store for around $38.50. Your video was very descriptive how everything works together. I think some type of bracket could be attached to the bottom of the grate to keep it from falling out of the track.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Oops, didn't watch the whole thing! Ignore my boneheaded request.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Tourist

Mark...I have a Canon HF200 and a WP-V1 housing for it. I got the brass screws so I could take it into the surf, and underwater, for trucking. Since it's PVC, there is no problems with it near the water. I can see this being a cool thing for you.
Thanks for the comment.
Keith Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks like a great solution for the small cameras out there!
Good job Keith
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable