Experimenting with rendering settings.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Experimenting with rendering settings..

Hey guys, i worked out a way to edit my .mp4's which involves rendering them to an avi file first and then editing that.
I've been playing with different settings to upload onto here, and am having a hard time working out which is the best way to render ?

i've exported one clip as 720p encoded using the sony AVC mp4 format ( vimeo.com/2613528 ) and that gave me an HD option.

But since then i haven't been able to get HD on any of my other clips i've uplpoaded
I've exported it with exactly the same settings - vimeo.com/2614870
and tried to see if there was a difference between sonys AVC mp4's ( vimeo.com/2619611 ) and main concepts mp4's ( vimeo.com/2619674 )

I'm also getting lines across some of these videos ? Not interlacing lines but they seem to be where there is great amounts of movement...

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated !
Alexander Peerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know much about vimeo, but if you want to "edit" mp4 files, you can actually do that straight in final cut pro. As for your lines on the video, are you seeing a horizontal line that moves up or down and seems to break the image? That's called screen tearing and is usually a computer or application glitch, and not really a problem in your video.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
New Boot

hey aric thanks for your help,
i've been using vegas 8 and it seems to be able to play mp4's but only with about 4-6 fps, which isn't ideal for editing ! i've had to downscale from 1080i footage as well so it makes editing a lot smoother.

i'm seeing the horizontal line on the online video... have you spotted it ? its fine on the rendered file i believe.
i think i'm going to play with the shutter speed next time....
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Peerman View Post
i've exported one clip as 720p encoded using the sony AVC mp4 format ( vimeo.com/2613528 ) and that gave me an HD option.

But since then i haven't been able to get HD on any of my other clips i've uplpoaded
If anyone could help it would be much appreciated !
You can only upload one HD clip to vimeo per week unless you have a paid account.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #5
New Boot

yeah i worked that one out when i went on their forums.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Major Player

I didn't see any line actually. Do you do tricks? I make movies with a New England stunt team: Revenge of the Revenge trailer on Vimeo ...too bad you're in the "old" England.
Most of my stuff is on youtube though.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
I didn't see any line actually. Do you do tricks? I make movies with a New England stunt team: Revenge of the Revenge trailer on Vimeo ...too bad you're in the "old" England.
Most of my stuff is on youtube though.
haha yep ! i do tricks, old england aye.

can you see the lines appearing through this footage when you click HD...
YouTube - 5bps 25fps 720p

i'm playing with the bitrate. dont know if it is having much effect.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't see any lines either.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center