In Depth iPhone review from a real user - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #31
Trustee

The thing that tickles me is all those people waiting (hours/days) in line for something that was probably the best stocked item next to egg nog each holiday season. I was seeing people get their phones within minutes after the last person in line had been there for days!!! $600 for a phone, wow that's a bit much even if I was rich. My Crackberry is nice and fully hackable with the Java Dev kit. only cost me $14.99!!!

Last edited by Chris Hurd; July 5th, 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: more more muhahahah
Marco Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #32
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
$600 for a phone, wow that's a bit much even if I was rich.
To help put things in perspective, I remember when Nokia brought out a chrome plated looking phone in the late 90's that was just a phone and they were able to charge $800 dollars for that thing. The belt ciip holster had it laying horizontal on your hip, like a sunglasses case. And there were no discounts either. I've seen many phones come along that cost more than the $600 price tag for the larger capacity iPhone. It always costs more to be the first kid on your block with the newest technology. I guess my biggest desire has always been a widescreen iPod. The iPhone is that and more. But I don't own one because I'm with another carrier.

As an Apple stock owner though, I'm glad to see the early users sing the praises which should help sell more of them!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

MSNBC reporter's iPhone dies after 4 days, but Apple gets things set right:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19614050

heath
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #34
Major Player

The quality of the 3.5" screen on the iPhone is pretty amazing--its like watching HD. [Though I haven't really looked at other devices like the Playstation Portable]

This could this another avenue for DV filmmaker's to start making available films formatted to take advantage of the iPhone.

I'm gonna have to try exporting some footage from the HV20 for this thing...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
The quality of the 3.5" screen on the iPhone is pretty amazing--its like watching HD.
Just goes to show how subjective something like this can be. The iPhone screen is 480x320 - 153,600 pixels total (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html). HD is 1920x1080, or 2,073,600 pixels - more than 10 times as many. Or putting it another way, the iPhone screen is less than half the resolution of standard DV (720x480 = 345,600).

I'm sure it is beautiful - especially compared to what we've come to expect from a cell phone. But it's a long way from HD...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Just goes to show how subjective something like this can be. The iPhone screen is 480x320 - 153,600 pixels total

I'm sure it is beautiful - especially compared to what we've come to expect from a cell phone. But it's a long way from HD...
Well, of course I know it's not HD.

;-)

What Apple did to make it look so good was to use a very dense lcd panel...160 dpi.

At the normal viewing distances that this thing is intended, it is has more than enough pixels to make it crystal clear.

And yeah, perception is everything...

I have always marveled at the banners on the sides of buildings that look like photographs.

But then learned that they need to only print them at really low resolutions because from the distances we normally view them---it has more than enough dots, it looks silky smooth.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
And yeah, perception is everything...
Indeed. There seems to be widespread agreement that the LCD screen on the Sony Z1 is not adequate for focusing HD and it has 250,000 pixels. Of course it looks very nice also...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News