Canon C700 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 7th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Canon C700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I see it's 28000 now at b&h, seeing that the c500 had a similar launchprice and 4 years later still is sold "new" for 7000 I wonder if Canon will devaluate the c700 in the same way.
Seeing as the camera hasn't even been released yet, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Canon will likely drop the price of this camera over time, just like it has done with all of its video cameras and many of it's higher end stills cameras, and just as Sony has done with the F3, F5, F55. Right now, the C700 is very competitive on price and features with the F55 and the Amira, so I'm not sure why Canon would be compelled to lower it soon, other than if it simply isn't selling.

My guess is we'll see updates to Sony's line next year, and that may shift things in this segment. So much is said about how much the FS7 hurt Canon. I wonder how much it hurt Sony (and sales of the f5). Selling a low priced body when you don't have much of a lens business, never made sense to me. There are probably more canon lenses on Fs7's than anything.
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Well, Canon has a history in devaluating it's high end cine line cameras with massive price reductions that makes them look like seriously overpriced to start with, I know that all new camera's have a higher starting price and decrease in price over time but I think Canon sets records in this area. Loosing about 25000 dollar on resale value over 4 years on one c500 only is not peanuts. But If your company can afford to be behind a few years on tech then canon's "older" cine line might be a great investment and worth the wait. Who knows the c700 is half the price in 2-3 years.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Major Player

Canon follows a typical "Market Skimming" strategy directly from marketing textbooks. At the launch price, the first group of buyers buy. Once the market for the product at that price is exhausted, it moves to the next price band which will get new buyers. These price drops have been happening at intervals which can now be fairly predicted. It is good for the customer. If you want the initial high of owning a newly launched product or if your business can afford the product at the launch price, then you buy. Else, you wait for the price to drop down to a zone where you are comfortable.

On the other hand companies like RED are known to drop price massively when they get scent of a new product. That leads to a lot of heart burn and is bad for the customer.

Sony is ready to cannibalise its products by launching new products/updated products at short intervals.

As a small business, I need predictable pricing so that I can plan better and get the buy vs rent decision right.

When Canon comes out with the C700 and then later upgrades with new sensors etc, the pricing decisions would be a bit difficult to predict as there is no precedent.
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #19
Major Player

More from the director shooting on the C700....
Directing Short Film with C700 - Tyler Stableford Blog | Tyler Stableford Director and Photographer

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News