NAB 2013 Goodies?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Trustee

NAB 2013 Goodies?!

I missed NAB this year due to schedule conflicts. For those of you who were fortunate enough to go, what are this year's best/most useful products that you got to play with on the floor?
I've read about the BM pocket cinema camera so far
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04...-cinema-camera
and the Sony
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/video/chann..._applications/
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: NAB 2013 Goodies?!

For me, as always, the show floor is a lot to process and it isn't even the primary reason I go anymore... that being instead the single best opportunity of the year to see old friends and make new ones. I can tell you what my biggest personal disappointment was: not making it over to the Rio for the SuperMeet on Tuesday night, due to the impossibility of finding a taxi due to the current strike (during which 15 cabbies were arrested outside the NAB convention). That really put a damper on transportation out of the LVCC area, at least for me it did.

The exhibits which appealed to me most were the things I normally don't get to see from home on the intertubes, namely all of the 4K (and beyond) ultra-high definition content displayed on large, ample screens in the various theaters located throughout the show floor exhibits... such as Sony, RED, Canon, and several others. It was nice to see Japan's large NHK booth, tucked away in a back corner of North Hall, showing off their "Super Hi-Vision" prototype 8K broadcast systems. Their 8K theater display consisted of video shot at the London Olympics, the STS-135 space shuttle launch, and carnival celebrations in Brazil. Dazzling stuff, but the camera systems are quite large (see pic).

Now that my feet are starting to feel better after a quiet weekend at home, I'll work on preparing a photo journal of what I saw at this year's show. Will advise when that's posted.
Attached Thumbnails
NAB 2013 Goodies?!-dvinfo-nab2013-cabstrike.jpg   NAB 2013 Goodies?!-dvinfo-nab2013-superhivision.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

NAB was a blast and the DVInfo meet up was a real highlight. It was great to meet you and some of the "regulars" in person!

The 8K Hitachi cam wasn't huge. It was a typical ENG size, weighing 5 lbs. Astrodesign had a smaller body cam with the same NHK-developed sensor. But RED stole the show by installing 6K Dragon sensors in customer cameras on the show floor with their portable clean room. :)

Regarding the cab strike, I believe that the Rio is associated with Harrah's and they have a free shuttle between locations. The Palms is the other big, across-the-freeway hotel. Not sure if they have a partner and shuttle. From experience, it's good to have a non-taxi plan to cross the breech.

Only 356 days until exhibits open at NAB 2014. :)
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I didn't go this year, but I can confirm that Harrah's has a shuttle to the Rio. We tend to stay at Harrah's when we go. Maybe next year.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

I have a best of/worst of nab 2013 article coming up very soon that's all about the gadgets.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News