News posts from 2004 Q2 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:48 AM   #76
RED Code Chef

It indeed seems to support video as well as a cameralink interface,
that's pretty interesting. The sensor is probably quite expensive, though

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:06 AM   #77
Major Player

Was there a mention of an application for a video camera in there someplace? The 1.125-inch size would be too
big for a camcorder, unless it was a large HD type. A huge lens would be needed to get much zoom power with such a large CCD.

I would think there would be a version of the Foveon CCD that was smaller and with fewer pixels, if it was intended for any type of video use, other than ultra-high definition, special use cameras. There was no indication of the refresh or frame-rate that these tri-depth sensors could use. I'm surprised by the slow implementation of the Foveon CCD system, which has been around for several years.
I expected that my next video camera would have been outfitted with one, a couple of years ago. Is there a hidden difficulty in using them for video purposes? Do the three sensing layers use pixel-offsetting?

Lots of questions, but I haven't heard many specific answers, nor have I heard of committments by video manufacturers to use them.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:48 AM   #78
Inner Circle

The chip isn't that big its just a bit bigger than a 1/2" CCD(1/2 = 0.5, 1/1.8 = 0.5555, 2/3 = .6666) smaller than a 2/3". So lenses could be 1/2" . This is the first in the series that has a low pixel count. I think the others were intended to address the high end still camera market. This chip could be an excellent choice for a HDV camera!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:12 AM   #79
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

We've actually had several good discussions on the Foveon. One of the most recent was last August. I don't think their situation has materially changed since then. It looks like they are now emphasizing niche markets rather than suggesting that they're headed for mainstream photo and video devices.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:20 AM   #80
Regular Crew

I also want to chime in. My friend has gone through 4 Sigma S10 cameras due to spots (dead pixels?) in his pictures. So besides not being ready for main-stream markets, they don't appear to be ready for mass market - period....

Of course this could be a Sigma issue as well.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM   #81
Major Player

Maxtor SATA II Drive w/ 16mb Buffer

http://www.shareholder.com/maxtor/Re..._section=press
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:04 PM   #82
Inner Circle

That is cool. I would like to new 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptors with this SATA II. Hopefully, Maxtor will put out something to compete with WD's 74 GByte Raptor, which goes for about $200. This little drive hauls ! My coworker works on disk drives uses two in Raptors in RAID0 as a boot drive. His motherboard chipset (nVidia nForce3) supports SATA without using the PCI bus Risky, but FAST.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:38 PM   #83
Major Player

I mistakeningly interpreted the figure "1/1.8" as meaning one and one-eighth inches. This new trend in mixing fractions and decimals to express CCD sizes in what are actually bastardized fractions, is mathematically incorrect and, I believe deliberately confusing. If you used fractional expressions like that on a math test, you'd get an "F".

When a camcorder manufacturer specifies that a model has a 1/4.8th-inch CCD, they're just hoping that many people won't realize that it's actually only
.21 inches and will think instead that it's larger than the 1/4th-inch CCD on the previous year's model. If they insist on going with CCD sizes that can't be expressed by common fractions, why don't they just use pure decimals? A dual expression of, for example,
.55 inches/13.8mm would be best for international products.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM   #84
Wrangler

Actually the whole CCD size issue is more complicated than this. The sizes are not really diagonals of the CCD's, but go back to the vacuum tube days when camera tubes were designated by the diameter of the cylindrical glass tube. The active image area was quite a bit smaller than this (a rectangle within the circle). When CCD imagers cam into use the first ones were sized to correspond to the active image area of a 2/3" cylindrical tube, hence the term 2/3" CCD. Now there never was such a thing as a 1/4" or 1/3" vacuum tube sensor so these sizes just represent the manufacturer's concept of how big the active image area of a 1/4" or 1/3"vacuum tube would have been if it existed.

According to an article I recently read, a 1.25" vacuum tube had an image diagonal 21.4mm, a 1" tube had a 16mm diagonal, and both the 1/2" and 5/8" tubes had 8mm diagonals. Modern camcorder chip sizes include 1/3" CCD's with 6mm diagonals, 1/4" CCD's with 4mm diagonals and 1/6" CCD's with 3mm diagonals.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:35 PM   #85
Trustee

Hot new Intel Chip????

Two days ago in my local paper (Arizona Republic) in the business section there was an article about a new super chip set being announced by Intel that is supposed to be available this week. The article did not name it or give specs, it said:

1. Giant leap forward in graphics processing, can run full res HD TV in your living room and other programs and monitors at the same time.
2. Major improvements for video editing and gaming.
3. First big step towards Intel’s goal of making the PC the heart of a home’s entertainment center.
4. Not a new processor, works with P4, it is a new chip set.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Steve
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM   #86
Wrangler

Is this it? - Tom's Hardware Guide: Intel's 775 Launch Mixes Ambition With A Strong Aftertaste
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:12 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Lots of manufacturers (nVidia, ATI, Via, etc.) are offering motherboard chipsets for AMD and Intel microprocessors.
This Intel chipset is an incremental, not monumental, step
forward.

Now, this Intel part should help reduce the cost of
big TVs :

http://www.intel.com/design/celect/technology/lcos/
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #88
Major Player

Compact Fuel Cell

Could have implications for DV cam batteries.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...oshiba_company
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Toshiba's methanol fuel cell

Though, this article doesn't comation enough information to
accurately convert the specs to camcorder battery units of
milliAmpereHours. Someday, we will kiss those big bricks
and recharge anxieties goodbye.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0406/04062401toshibafuel.asp

"Toshiba's methanol fuel cell"

It will certainly be some time before we see fuel cells used in digital cameras but it's worth noting that development fuel cells is accelerating. Toshiba today announced a small methanol fuel cell which weighs just 8.5 g (0.3 oz) and can produce 100 mW of power. Toshiba describe this new unit as "small enough for integration into a wireless headset for mobile phones, but still efficient enough to power an MP3 music player for as long as 20 hours on a single 2cc charge of highly concentrated methanol. The new fuel cell outputs 100 milliwatts of power, and can continue to do so, non-stop, for as long as users top up its integrated fuel tank—a process that is as simple as it is safe."

Press Release:
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #90
Trustee

Michael,

That review on Tom’s hardware is what the republic was talking about. However Tom's review is reality based. It is beyond me why a major newspaper would make it sound like this was the biggest advance in many years. I wish I still had the article so I could quote it. They made it sound revolutionary.
I have a P4, 3.2 Extreme Edition and a 800 FSB on my system and am very happy with it, the article made it sound outdated already.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News