Best way to colour correct footage to be usable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Best way to colour correct footage to be usable

Canon 550D DSLR overheating causing cloudy footage by Matt Thomas Video, on Flickr

So I was filming today and it was really hot and the footage became cloudy looking. I suspect it was due to overheating but just wondering what would be the best course of action to colour correct this footage to make it at least usable.

The final product will be DVD so I don't mind pushing the colour a little while it's 1080p as when I resize to DVD it'll help with any compression/banding/noise etc.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Best way to colour correct footage to be usable

Hi Matt. This is far from perfect, but as you are aware there are quite a few issues with the image. Done in After Effects mainly using 'Curves' but also blending modes, masks and an adjustment layer. The image seems to have 3 bands which require different treatments. If you have AE I can send you the .aep file which would give you a starting point, otherwise you might let everyone know what program(s) you are using and someone might be able to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to colour correct footage to be usable-cc-after-effects.jpg  
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Best way to colour correct footage to be usable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Gesch View Post
Hi Matt. This is far from perfect, but as you are aware there are quite a few issues with the image. Done in After Effects mainly using 'Curves' but also blending modes, masks and an adjustment layer. The image seems to have 3 bands which require different treatments. If you have AE I can send you the .aep file which would give you a starting point, otherwise you might let everyone know what program(s) you are using and someone might be able to help.
+1. Blending and/or some masking.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects