280 Mbps I-Frame-Only Coming Next Week - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

If one wants to purchase a SanDisk card, and get a 64 GB card, then the Extreme Pro is the one currently available. They do not have a 64 GB card in the Extreme (non-pro) line.

Yes, a 60 MBps card is enough for all of our current bit-rates. But, we can not predict the future. Also, there are advantages to having very fast cards, but one has to justify the extra expense.

One should also consider the PhotoFlash 533x 64 GB card. Note that this card is limited to 220 Mbps speeds.
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Dear Jonathan and Paul,

Your very kind and public words are greatly appreciated.
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Yes, a 60 MBps card is enough for all of our current bit-rates. But, we can not predict the future. Also, there are advantages to having very fast cards, but one has to justify the extra expense.
With USB2 topping out at 480 Mbits/second, the advantages of a read speed faster than 60 MBytes/second are not seen with even the best USB 2.0 readers. Firewire800 or ExpressCard readers are necessary to take advantage of the fastest CF cards. I haven't seen any USB 3.0 flash card readers, although there are some very recent announcements for USB 3.0 PCI-E cards.

So, the remaining current advantage of 90 MB/sec Extreme Pro is that it would write the recording cache and catch up to real-time faster. Are there other advantages to justify spending more for Extreme Pro other than 64 GB?

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; November 11th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #34
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
With USB2 topping out at 480 Mbits/second, the advantages of a read speed faster than 60 MBytes/second are not seen with even the best USB 2.0 readers. Firewire800 or ExpressCard readers are necessary to take advantage of . I haven't seen any USB 3.0 flash card readers, although there are some very recent announcement for USB 3.0 PCI-E cards.

So, the remaining current advantage of 90 MB/sec Extreme Pro is that it would write the recording cache and catch up to real-time faster. Are there other advantages to justify spending more for Extreme Pro other than 64 GB?
Hi Gints-
No real advantage using the Extreme Pro 64GB card. If you want 64GB, I would recommend getting the PhotoFast 64GB card ($299). It has a write speed sufficient for 220 Mbps and a read speed which is very close to the Extreme Pro card.

Best-
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

The USB 2.0 card readers are not the fastest.

One should use Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 if available.

The ExpressCard 34 slot card readers are the fastest. Some are limited to the Mac, so ensure that whatever one you purchase works with your computer.
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Jonathan you are correct Convergent Designs is the best company I have worked with in my 25 years of shooting. The best product development, best updates on the product (free), and best staff.
And with the best customers of the world:-)

The XDR/nano have been developed with the aim of using existing cameras. But those devices had arrived right in a moment when the concept of "camera" and "camcorder" are changing.
As I see, the last trends point to work with a "lens-captor" system (RED, SLR,..) with uncompress OUT and an independent recorder.
Is a great philosophy and the XDR/nano are really pioneering this area.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #37
Trustee

The Best of The Best !

Hi Friends:
When it comes to the Flash XDR or the Nano Flash, I think we all want the same thing. I think we are all dedicated to making the XDR & the Nano the best product it can be, with the coolest features possibly imaginable. I think we the customers, and they, the folks at Convergent Designs, are dedicated to a great SSDR. I think there isn't one person whatsoever in this forum (No matter what their feature request maybe), who's motives are any less than sincerely wanting to improve the products overall. We all put our cash on the table, because we believe in the product. Just my 2 cents worth.

Respectfully,
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey