Nanoflash as videoassist for RED ONE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nanoflash as videoassist for RED ONE

Hi, I just came across the Nanoflash in the previous issue of AC, and have been reading about it a bit throughout the day, and it seems a perfect companion for the RED ONE as a HD videoassist.

I have some questions, that maybe someone here can answer for me:

1) Audio, I use a Panasonic BT-LH1700 monitor (without the audioboard thing that Panasonic makes -and apparantly that only makes some onscreen display of the audio anyway).

My challenge, how can I get some audio out to headset from the Nanoflash, is there any smart way of getting access to the audio, just so the director can listen?
(If I can get around this easily I will order one asap.)

2) Is there any cable that can tap into the powerplug on the side of the V-lock batterymount, or can I possibly easily make one myself?

3) Is there anything else apparent that I have overseen that makes the Nanoflash not as perfect choise as I think? (except working around audio)

Appreciate your answers!
RED ONE #476
Eirik Tyrihjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am replying to my own questions here, but maybe this is the box that I am looking for to fix my audio challenge?

AJA Hi5 HD-SDI/SDI to HDMI Video and Audio Converter

AJA | Hi5 HD-SDI/SDI to HDMI Video and Audio Converter | HI5

If I hook this one up after the NanoFlash but before my video monitor, I would be able to get the HD-SDI embedded audio out through the separate RCA-style audio outputs, right?

Any other suggestions? (The less need for additional powerconsuming and cable clutter the better)
RED ONE #476
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Why not use the audio out from the nanoFLASH?
Daniel Symmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It seems to be embedded in the BNC HD-SDI or HDMI, and I cannot plug my headset into that, or am I missing something important?
RED ONE #476
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV

Quote from the product page:

*** Now with Analog Audio Input (3.5 mm Unbalanced Stereo or Balanced Mono), Analog Output (3.5 mm Headphone)
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Major Player

3.5 mm analog headphone output included.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

PERFECT!

I have been looking at it from all angles today, and missed that, seems like an update.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.
RED ONE #476
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Eirik,

Yes, we have a 3.5mm Headphone output jack.

Thus, we take the audio input, either from embedded audio, or analog audio in and send it out the headphone output.

I assume that you will be sending us audio embedded via the HD-SDI input.
Is this correct?

While we have the headphone output jack, it is mainly for playback, and setting of levels at this time.

While this will change with a future release, our headphone output has a delay. This makes listening to the audio, via the delayed signal in the headphones awkward at best.
This will change to normal low-latency audio as soon as we can get to adding this feature, which is an absolute requirement in my mine.

We just added low-latency E to E video, low latency audio is coming up.

Could you obtain the headphone feed direct from the Red, or the audio person?

I am assuming that you want to get it from the nanoFlash since the nanoFlash can be feed with one small HD-SDI cable, and this is very convenient.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was swamped.

Yes, we offer a D-Tap to 4-Pin Female Hirose power cable for the nanoFlash, as well as other ways to power the nanoFlash.

Does your HD-SDI output of the Red look good on a monitor. If so, then we should be ok.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Dan, thank you for responding directly and quickly.

In most situations I will send embedded audio via HD-SDI from the Red One, (in some cases it could be beneficial to go directly via the audio in, especially when sound is recorded separate from the RED)

What would be most important for now is for the audio to be in sync on playback from the nanoflash (while watching live the director could always get a feed directly from the soundguy.)

When you talk about adding this feature in the future, will that come as a software/firmware update or will would you recommend me to hold off buying for now, waiting for a future hardware version?

The NanoFlash will be used mainly for onset playback (so the DP can continue on the next setup), and sometimes for playing with the footage on set, mostly the RED RAW files will be used for the final product, but yes the RED ONE delivers a beautiful clean image via HD-SDI.

Very good to hear you have a D-tap cable, that makes it go so nicely with the monitor and itīs powersupply!

Again, thanks for getting back to me, looking forward to futher responses.
RED ONE #476
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Eirik,

The audio will be in sync on playback.

The low-latency audio will be provided via a free firmware upgrade.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey