Mics to capture dialogue? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 19th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I will be using the MA-200 i guess.

So will it only capture sound in 1 channel?
And if so, how do I copy the other sound to the other channel in post? Under which option do I go?

I normally use the timeline to add in soundtrack, sound etc, but I can't seem to find any option to adjust the right or left channel. Need help.
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #17
Capt. Quirk

My experience with onboard mics is this- It won't pick up any dialogue that is 10 ft in front of the cam. It will pick up the sounds of a camera snapping a pic 18 ft away. My voice ALWAYS come across loud and clear, no matter how quiet I am, even 10 feet behind the cam.

Murphy's Law strikes again... and again... and again...
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

yep, all you got to do is to copy and paste the track of sound to the other track, eg. for FCP, A3 to A4. you can also link them as a stereo pair (in one of the menu options).
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I see. Thanks again for the answer.

I will try it once my next short film is completed. If i encounter any problem again, I will ask more questions. Thanks for helping!
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

re: dialog microphone

for high end "voice over" dialog, I was using a Rode NT1000...not a bad mic....now I have an AKG 1000C, which is a sort of stick condenser....can be used for standup, as a camera mic, or a short boom, but is round enuf to use as a VO mic...very punchy, full sound, with a presence booster to help cut thru the mix...nice for only $200....for a real vo mic, try an AT4047..that mic kicks butt, runs about $500 with a shock mount....sounded better than the Rodes or AKGs, way better than any smalll condenser. Needs phantom power, so its more of a studio mic......
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I have decided to rent it instead. I could rent it from a friend with an affordable price.

Thanks for all the advice given!
Michael Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog