Canon Case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Case

I just have a quick question regarding the Canon HC-3100 Aluminium case for the XL1s.

Would the case house the XL1s with the MA200 and Lens, Viewfinder attached or will I have to remove these items to ensure it fits properly?

Thanks!
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Disassembly is required.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thought as much! Thank you for your response.
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

the other Canon case for the XL1s

I have the other Canon case for the XL1s, the HC3500. It fits airlines' guidelines for carryon luggage, but the HC3500 requires more disassembly than the HC3100 you're asking about. With my case, I have to remove the microphone, viewfinder and MA100 for it to fit. I remove the battery too, even though I don't need to do that for it to fit. I've seen some people in this board recommend taking the viewfinder off as a good practice, for safety / durability reasons. It's a sensitive part that can still take a beating even if the camera is in a custom case.

I suppose with the HC3100 all you'd have to take apart is the MA100. Maybe someone else can clarify that.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Flying or transcontinental shipping, the best is to pack the cam similar to the packaging that Canon used to send it in the first place ... surrounded by foam and fully disassembled. For daily ventures, the Canon case is handy but requires removal of the XLR audio attachments. For me the case was included when I bought my second unit ... I don't think I would pay the kind of cabbage Canon looks for on some of their rather over-priced accessories. The system case definately falls into the "lover of the system let's get the big margin on the goodies 'cuz they like the logo on the package" type of purchase that manufacturers dream about once the original sale is made. A marketing reality. Henry Ford discovered this concept once black was no longer the only colour option on the early motor cars...
Sorry for the off topic diatribes ... I'm not vain, just sensible with my cash at times.
Buy the case ... it works very well.....

Jimmy.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog