XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 24th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #586
Wrangler

Depends on the mic .

If it is a balanced low impedance mic, you may be better going through the MA-100, especially if there is much cord involved.

Some wireless receivers and some consumer mics are unbalanced output in which case direct connection to the RCA is probably better.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:08 PM   #587
jeffrey marino

hot pixel on recorded image

I have a December 1999 XL1 which just manifested a single pixel hotspot which is really only apparent upon playback. The original vendor (B&H) says it'll cost as much to replace the entire unit as to repair. Canon factory parts was guessing that replacing the prism ccd unit would do the trick (about $550 plus labor at 250), but they wouldn't evaluate over the phone. Camera has experienced moderate use and has not been exposed to lasers or directed at sun. Any thoughts?
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:31 PM   #588
Warden

Send it in for Canon Factory service. They have a New Jersey service facility that can handle the repair estimate. Details are provided on the XL1 Watchdog http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 02:33 AM   #589
Regular Crew

Power2000 weight, dimensions and price?

Hi,

I read some of the threads regarding batteries but I couldn't find the weight and dimensions of this power2000 battery compared to the original canon BP-945 and the replacement battery by Lenmar.

Can someone shed a light on this please?

I've searched the B&H website for a good deal but I find $27 for transportation to Europe a rip off. Aren't there companies in the US how are more reasonable what this cost is concerned?

Thank you so much!

Dirk
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 06:25 AM   #590
Warden

The charge possibly includes fees for B & H to fill out papers for Customs. Ask, they'll let you know. The weight is within a few ounces of the Lenmar and Canon batteries. They all weigh about the same.

Jeff
Old November 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #591
Regular Crew

dynamic mics & the XL1

Hi All,

Does anyone know if one can use dynamic mics with the XL1? Also if so is not not recommended or will they do me just fine as lav mics?

Thanks!
-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:58 AM   #592
Wrangler

Yes. XLR adapter such as the MA-100 recommended.

However, check mic output/sensitivity level for your application. Some dynamic mics do not have as high output as the condensor mics often used with camcorders.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #593
New Boot

Dynamic mics work fine with the XL1. I am using the Sennheiser 815's. Like Don said you will need an XLR adapter like the MA-100 from Canon or the XLR-BP Pro from Studio 1.

Charles
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:35 AM   #594
Regular Crew

used mics

Hi All,

Need a quick bit of advice for you folks, I need some lav mics. I found someone who will sell me, 2 Electrovoice Model 649B Lavalier Microphones for $40.00 + ship. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with these mics? And if so were you happy with them?

2) I know buying any kind of equipment like this sight unseen is never a good idea, but if it is a really good deal I am willing to take a chance on it?

3) Have any of you found that used mics are generally NOT a good idea? Or If taken care of well is it generally an okay idea?

Thanks for all of your help!

-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM   #595
Major Player

* * USED * *

SL,

I've bought three used mikes and had no problems. Here is what I bought...

Sennheiser ME-66/Phantom from B/H Photo Used - Excellent condition shape and sound.

2 Sony ECM-44B lavs used from Ebay - Excellent/Good+ condition and sound.

I paid some money for these mikes. I don't have much experience with the mikes you are/would like to purchase, but it seems quite cheap. Make sure the sound isn't cheap, or unappealing to you. Nothing is worse when you get to post and there are clicks, pops, and garbage. (I am working through some of this type of audio editing at the moment)

If its your only avenue, then purchase the lavs and start shooting!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:21 AM   #596
Regular Crew

1:2.35 with XL1s?

I will shoot a short movie very soon (my first one) I like the 1:2.35 format best so I'm looking for the best way to get a 1:2.35 image with the XL1s. There are so many topics about Anamorphic lenses on this Board so I'm quite confused.

I would like to get the best image quality possible. So what would you recomend me to do. Should I just crop the image or should I use the 16:9 modus and use a 16:9 Anamorphic lens in addition (what lens would you recomand? optex?) or is there a 1:2.35 Anamorpic lens available for the Canon XL1s? Any other solutions?

I would just like to get best image quality as possible....

Thanx

Snaif

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English....
Michael Althaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:12 PM   #597
marcspor

XL-1: Lens / camera zooms itself

I was shooting for a couple of hours with my XL-1 and attached Varizoom PG-L (buttons). After a longer break I was about to continue without the control. To my surprise the camera zoom turned on itself and went all the way through without even touching the camera. This problem is still persistant after one day. I removed and replaced the batteries and the internal battery. Also strange: If I tip top zoom switch the lens zooms in resp. out without stopping. And: the displayed information on the left side in the viewfinder is gone. White-balancing and DVE work, but I do not see any information anymore.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion? I would guess there might be some way to reset the camera... BTW, the sensor is turned off.

Thanks,
Marcus
Old November 22nd, 2002, 05:49 PM   #598
Regular Crew

Hey,

As far as i know there is no anamorphic adapter to get a 1:2.35 format. What you could do is shoot with the optex 16:9 anamorphic adapter and crop the rest in post.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 08:08 PM   #599
Warden

Sounds like an internal short or maybe a loose ribbon connector. I would call Canon service and discuss the problem with them. It doesn't sound like a user serviceable problem.

Jeff
Old November 23rd, 2002, 10:35 AM   #600
Regular Crew

For that price, it's hard to go wrong.

Of course, nothing is more expensive than that item that doesn't work.

I have had very good luck at buying used mikes, but have never attempted a purchase as inexpensive as this.

If it works out, you've got a great deal.

If not, you've only wasted a little money to find out. Besides, you can always resell them... even at a loss... and recoup some cash.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog