XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 123 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #1831
New Boot

Seeking Selling Advice On Xl1 S Package

http://www.crossfireforum.org/galler.../500/Canon.jpg

No more dickering, she's decided to part with our expensive and relatively new, 11 month old Canon XL1 S camera and all the accessories and go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade to a fancier camera she has glued her eyeballs on... Whew, this lady gott'a have all of the newest state of the art gadgets and it's driving me into the poor house but I continue to nod my head and yes dear...

http://www.crossfireforum.org/galler...500/CANNON.jpg

She's shot 3 possiably 4 -60 minute Sony color collection tapes thru it, it has maybe 3-4 hours of total time on it in the short 11 months we've owned it.

Here's what it consists of;

Canon XL1S body,
Canon 16X XL lens w/hood,
Canon 3X XL lens w/hood,
Canon EF lens adapter,
the lens bags and dust covers,
MA-200 XLR Adapter Shoulder Pad,
1-BP 930 & 2-BP 930R ION batterys,
CH-910 dual battery charger,
Canon standard microphone,
Nylon soft carry case,
124 pg. Canon user manual in three languages,
All the cords, warranty card she never turned in, and misc paperwork is included...It's kept in a large gun safe..

No boxes, she pitched them like a d_ _ _y blonde with giant mammoires, but I cant complain, it paid for itself in the short time we owned it. My loss is your gain.

I priced some simular packages here and on another forum for around the same $$ amount and she's screaming at me now, she wants her new camera gadget and for me to blow it out so I can spend triple that on a fancier one with a gazillion more buttons.
$ 2600.00 in dead presidents picked up, located at the NW Fort Worth, Tx. studio or I can probably get it shipped with insurance for $ 100.00 -125.00 more.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/galler...CANNON_005.jpg

terryh@familysurf.net

817-939-7077 voice mail CST

Last edited by Terry Hensley; May 21st, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
Terry Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1832
Regular Crew

I'm interested to know too...
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1833
Obstreperous Rex

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=112 -- tons of discussions on this topic!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1834
New Boot

72mm .3x wide angle lens?

I am looking to see if a .3x wide angle lens exists for a 72mm thread (XL1). I can't find anything on the internet.

If not, Could I use a step down ring for a 58mm raynox lens?
Jimmy Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM   #1835
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Collins
I am looking to see if a .3x wide angle lens exists for a 72mm thread (XL1). I can't find anything on the internet.

If not, Could I use a step down ring for a 58mm raynox lens?
Using Step down makes no sense to me.. vignetting at wide angle on the primary lens.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #1836
New Boot

XL1 Remote WL-D2000

I am needing a remote for my Cannon XL1.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

Also I was told that I need the Remote to turn off all of the menus when you are using an extra screen. Is this true, or am I just missing something?
Alan Salway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM   #1837
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Alan, if you don't want to buy it as a replacement part from Canon, then your next best bet is Ebay. Be sure to search for "Canon" and not "Cannon" though. And yes you need this remote in order to turn the displays on and off for remote monitors. Another way to do this without the WL-D2000 is to get the Canon ZR-1000 wired remote lens controller. It has the same displays button that the wireless remote has. It's about $160 to $180 or so.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1838
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Salway
I am needing a remote for my Cannon XL1.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

Also I was told that I need the Remote to turn off all of the menus when you are using an extra screen. Is this true, or am I just missing something?
Alan,

This is your lucky day! I have the remote from my XL-1 body. The buyer didn't want any of the accessories. I will send you a private mail.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #1839
Tourist

Xl1 audio drift

i'm new to your group but am happy to find it. I love my Xl1 .

Lately I have been using FCP and capturing 64 minute clips. I notice that the audio starts to drift at the 30 minute mark and gets off about 12 frames at the end of these files. I can capture smaller segments as a work around but I'm curious if anyone here has heard of this problem?
Jim Cullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #1840
Regular Crew

20X canon lens??

i was looking at the watchdog articles on the xl1s and this lens i found on ebay wasn't covered. it is a 20X auto lens, it has a focus and zoom preset option, could someone explain the present option and how it works? the auction says it makes focus pulling easy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

thanks,
mike
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #1841
Wrangler

This is the stock lens that comes with the XL2. Yes, the focus and zoom presets will work on the XL1s, but you won't see the preset positions in the VF like you would on the XL2.

For additional information, look at the XL2 watchdog and Canon's own website.

http://canondv.com

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #1842
Wrangler

This was a topic of discussion several years ago. The cause is slight differences in clock rates for audio. Some NLE's have a setting that effectively addresses this, not sure about FCP.

A 2001 thread suggests visiting a FCP-related FAQ site that may no longer exist for discussion of the issue. Not being a FCP user, I have no solution.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #1843
Major Player

before I upgraded to the XL2, I used an XL1 with FCP, but I could never figure out what the issue was. What I ended up doing was capturing each hour in 15 minute segments to avoid the problem.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1844
New Boot

I bought a Digital Optics wide angle converter for my XL1 lens. It cost me like $100 but the problem is that it distorts the horizontal lines like a fish-eye lens would. I wanted to get a wider range without getting the rectilinear distortion if you know what i mean?

is this the product i have to get in order to avoid the fisheye-like distortion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-3X-WIDE-AN...QQcmdZViewItem
Frank Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #1845
New Boot

I've offered it on Ebay for $ 2100.00 + shipping.
Terry Hensley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog