chamois slip-ons for eyecup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 26th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

chamois slip-ons for eyecup

Where do you find these? I saw them mentioned on the XL1 watchdog site, and looked on Transvideo's site, and couldn't find anything. I like the hoodman, but sometimes it hurts more than it helps, and I'd like to try one of these chamois slip-ons.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

I looked on Jeff's site. . .can't find 'em. Found what he was talking about though, the icuff. I'm actually talking about the ones Chris has pictured on the watchdog site, right under the picture of the hoodman--anyone know what I mean?
Old August 26th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

I got one locally. My second one.

BECAUSE THEY KEEP ON COMING OFF.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

Here's a link.

It's worth pointing out that they are essentially a disposable item, they will get dirty and nasty especially if you are sweating. On set, we usually switch them once a day or once every two days. I'm not that sweaty a guy so I can go a little longer than most. For personal use like on your own camera, you can probably use them for several shoots. As you can see on that site, they are between $6 and $8 a pop. It becomes a financial issue of whether they are worth it. I will tell you that they are MUCH more comfortable than the standard rubber eyecup on the color viewfinder. I'd recommend getting a couple to start and see if you can justify the expense.

This is one of the areas where my job has its perks--I've managed to siphon off handfuls of chamois from the expendables drawer at work over the year so I'm covered for a long time! We use the circular version for Panavision, but I simply cut down the XL1 teardrop rubber eyecup to match the chamois and I'm good to go.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Major Player

ZGC offers them at $5 each. Mine has not slipped off, it's a tight snug fit on the viewfinder eye cup, definatley feels better on the skin, especially in these hot humid months.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What about the iCuff, Josh? I use one, and it's just awesome, much better than the Hoodman model. Keeps it's shape perfectly and feels great against the skin.
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Major Player

I must admit I have the Hoodman as well and don't like it! I may have a misshaped one, but it never seems to fit right and snug. So sometimes lets light get in from the side. A right pain in my backside at the best of times!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Yeah. . .maybe I'll look at the icuff, says it's made for those with glasses. . .like me! The chamois on the watchdog fits OVER the teardrop part of the rubber eyepiece. This isn't the same thing you have then, charles?

Old August 26th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #9
Wrangler

Righty o. If you check out that link, the ones that I can pocket are the Panavision version, which is round. Rather than jump through hoops trying to sneak in orders for the XL1 teardrop version, I realized it was going to be easier just to modify the eyepiece to accept the round style, of which I probably have 30 or 40 in my closet. I had a spare rubber eyepiece section from my old XL1, had to replace it when it sold the camera because the original had melted a bit and didn't look all that good. Cutting it down actually improved things!

Otherwise, it's the same device, different shape. I've never had any issues with not having the teardrop shape. But again, this is all because I could get the round ones for free.
Old August 27th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

I like the teardrop--it keeps the sun out of your eyes usually, depending on which side you have it--also a big problem that the hoodman didn't address.
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:27 AM   #11
Slash Rules!

Know what I just tried? I took the furry part off the hoodman, and left other part secured. It seems to work pretty well--here in the house anyway. We'll see about in the field.
Old August 28th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #12
Major Player

The chamois I got from ZGC does go over the rubber teardrop. I can take a photo of it on my camera if you like.
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #13
Major Player

"I may have a misshaped one, but it never seems to fit right and snug."
You're right Christopher, you do have a misshaped one, but don't fret, theyre all like that...very disappointing, especially when Hoodman's cost can't be over a dollar or two. I quit using mine but I have new hope with the others mentioned here.
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #14
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Petrie : The chamois I got from ZGC does go over the rubber teardrop. I can take a photo of it on my camera if you like. -->>>

I think I'm not being clear; wouldn't be the first time!

I've seen and used the teardrop chamois, it's perfect. The thing is, I personally have free access to quantities of the round chamois, so it was more cost effective for me to make those work by modifying my eyecup rather than have to buy the teardrop version for $5 each. I wouldn't expect others to go down the same road, unless they have that same access.
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #15
Slash Rules!

I still don't see the bid difference between hoodman with the furry part removed and the i-cuff. I'd be less annoying about if the damn thing weren't $50.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog