Vignetting normal with the 20x Lense? and Bad frames... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Vignetting normal with the 20x Lense? and Bad frames...

I have started playing around a tiny with the H1 at work, and the first thing I noticed was once imported, there was noticable vignetting occuring around the whole frame, more so on the corners. Is this because of low light? The hood? Its all new to me so help would be great. Also the first 2 frames of every clip were jarbled up, is this a camera problem? Or maybe a problem with the Firestpre FS4 pro? Thanks
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Was this vignetting only at the wide end of the lens or did you see it through out. It certainly isn't normal on the standard 20 lens in average situations. It could be an exposure issue as well. The lens will have fall off from the center to the corners in low light. Do the corners go full black or do they just shade the image. The hood is a definite possibility if it isn't seated properly. Also did you put any screw on filters or adapters on the lens? As for the bad frames this sounds like a Firestore issue.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

here are the vignetting examples (ignore the focus, test only) Not sure why they are stretched either....grrr....

1. top corners most noticable, some may be the light issue, but 2 is zoomed in and you see the same exact pattern of darkness, even more noticable in motion

3. Again top right corner and right edge

and here are the garbledfirst 2 frames from a few files

Last edited by Nathan Quattrini; January 19th, 2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: fixing image links
Nathan Quattrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Disjecta

I experience vignetting similar to that in some situations. I haven't really had the inclination to figure out why because it's fairly rare.

The garbled two frames at the beginning of your file is normal when capturing raw m2t files.
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Trustee

Actually looking at the frames it looks like fairly normal lens fall off in low light. When you are shooting in low light and have a neutral surface you will see many lens issues which disappear in better light levels. Very common with zoom lenses. Many defects appear outside of TV Safe which used to make them a non issue.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders