XLH1 Video Quality Issue - SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 Video Quality Issue - SD

I have been very happy with it, but I have noticed that in RAW and compresed video I get oscillating light fluctuations in shiny areas of glasses, or the chrome in chairs, etc. with movement. Is this what some call artifact? It could be my amatuer inabilities but what can be done? Is there a production effect to add to remove it? I am shooting in 30 fps in AV Mode.
David Walding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

That's not typical compression artifact, but not sure what it actually is. If shooting Tv under some artifical lights (eg halogen or mercury vapor, as noted on p72 of the user manual...and I've seen that happen), you can get an effect like that. But in Av, I don't know; haven't seen it in that mode and not mentioned in the manual. Do you have a sample clip you can post to make sure we're talking about the same thing?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here ya go. This is not the best example but note that the problem is worse on larger reflective items. MPG encoding covers up the small stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ShinyFrames-1.zip (1.52 MB, 940 views)
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi David

I'm not sure I'm seeing much of anything, other than a little aliasing. It's difficult to tell as it is so short, and has little movement, but I'm guessing that you are simply seeing line "twitter" (aliasing) which is a normal component of DV quality video image. If you have a clip that shows the problem more obviously, it would help.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Classic aliasing.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can anything be done to help prevent it? This means I cant use the XLH1 for TV Quality commercials.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi David. This is a common problem on my XL2 as well. Basically, the lens is able to resolve finer details than the SD resolution CCD can capture without aliasing occurring. Ideally, there would have been a low pass filter before the A/D conversion of the CCD output to prevent this but it's not an ideal world. :)

On my XL2, I find that the Century Optics 0.7X converter softens the image just enough to largely avoid this aliasing problem.

If your commercial can take something like a classis soft filter, it might be worth trying in order to reduce the sharpness. The camera has a sharpness adjustment built-in, but it's probably done digitally i.e. after the A/D conversion so doesn't help the aliasing much.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I believe the XL-H1 does have some anti aliasing filtering built in because the aliasing is much, much less pronounced than with preveious XL cameras. Aliasing can often be dealt with simply by changing the position/angle of the camera so try a slightly different composition.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders