Possible Dead Pixels in H1??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Possible Dead Pixels in H1???

I've had my XL-H1 for two years. Had no problems up until yesterday when I started capturing I had shot a couple of days ago and saw three possible dead pixels. Right away I plugged in my H1 to my HD monitor and saw the three specs. I took the lens and cleaned just to make sure there weren't dust particles. Then when I put the lens back on they were mysteriously gone. So then I turned the H1 off and turned it on again and saw the three pixels.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem. Are they dead pixels??? Why do they come off and on??? Any Suggestions??? I've attached a screen grab of what I saw. Thanks in advanced!
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Dead Pixels in H1???-sequence-1.jpg  
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Manual,

Looks like you right. They can be removed but it means sending the camera to a service center. If you do search I think you will find of the forum I think you will find some answers as to what to do

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Try blowing out the image for a few seconds and then restarting the camera.

This has worked for us in the past, but, ultimately, you may have to send it in to Canon to have the pixels mapped out.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi

I have also seen one or two of white pixels on my XH-A1. They will show up when the cam is warm after a longer period of use and/or if the surrounding temperature is high. As they only show up when the picture is dark I don't see it as a problem, and if it become a problem I guess I can mask them out in post. My white pixels can sometimes be seen even whith gain set to -3dB. I've had my cam sent to Canon repair for another reason and asked them to check the pixel error but they couldn't recreate the error and their service program didn't see it either.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #5
New Boot

Well I'm definitely taking it to Canon on Monday. I know there's plenty of plug-ins for FCP to fix dead pixels. Any suggestions as to which is the best one?
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Major Player

My suggestion is CHV plugins which includes a "dead pixel remover" and a few other plugs.

It's called "Repair collection"

Plugins for Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express by CHV-electronics

and the guy who runs it and writes the software is very responsive and quick to reply to emails. I think he's in Germany (? Unsure).

It's expensive at $99.

But to does work and I've used it on three low budget features over the last 2 years.

Oh - by the way, if you go to the site he has a free plugin called "Silk and Fog" which is really excellent. So it's worth the visit for the freebie. You will love it, I am sure.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders