Dead Pixels on XL-H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dead Pixels on XL-H1

I've had this camera since Dec, and love it aside from the fact without and external monitor I can never tell if what I shoot is in focus until I get back and put it up in an editor. I've shot about 100+ hours on it, the thing is in use abotut 2 -3 times a week. I just bought an XH-A1 (WONDERFUL), in many ways I like it better (but at least I have a backup).

Now I notice I have two dead pixels. The question is in two parts.. can it be repaired in a cost effective manner (anybody tell me? its grey market) does it have to go to Canon or can other repair depots do it..

The second question is what can I do about it in my editor.. I use FCP, is there anything that can cover it up.. the background is dead black so it really shows up.. any filters or other post processing tools, or is it a manual operation?

Thanks!

Brian
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It must go to Canon service... the only catch is that since it's grey-market, it probably won't qualify for warranty repair. Best to search our NLE- Mac forum for existing threads which cover the topic of masking hot pixels with FCP.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Had the same probs with mine...and out of warranty(as bought off ebay)..anyways,
took to canon service centre..1 good clean, some magic gigerypokery(software wise to ccd), 1 update to firmware
all was good..sixty pounds!!
took less than a week
Craig
Craig Maret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Get CHV's repair package of plugins which includes "pixel fixer". I have XLH1 dead pixels which come and go. Of course Canon say that it's impossible for pixels to die and come back to life, but they're full of it.

Anyway, Pixel Fixer works fine. I think the package was 50 bucks. Easy to use too.

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders