XL2 and EF Lens Adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #196
Regular Crew

EF lens adaptor

Hi there

I am about to get a Canon 30D stills camera and am wondering what kind of performance I would get with my XL2 if I also purchased an EF adaptor. What EF lenses work best? and what kinds of uses would they have. For example would the Canon EF 300 f/4 produce better results than the 20X and how would the Canon EF 10-22 F3.5 wide angle work for nice wide outdoor shots.

I would love to know it any one has had any experience of using these or any other EF lenses with their XL2.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #197
Trustee

Hi Eric. You need to be aware that the EF lenses all become mega telephoto when stuck onto the XL2. There's a crop factor due to the XL2 CCD being smaller than the 35mm frame that the EF lenses were designed for. This gives you an effective magnification of around 9 times (roughly) so even the widest EF lens will be telephoto on the XL2.

There are quite a few posts on this already, so you might want to do a search. I think most people who use the EF adaptor are into wildlife photography and need the long reach.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #198
Wrangler

here's a current discussion worth a look:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66301

if you're after wide angle shots, you are better off purchasing the 3x lens. or a wide angle adapter for your stock lens. i'm not even sure that the 10-22 will mount on an EF adapter because i think its mount design is similar to the canon's EF-S lens series, which are not compatible. in any case, at 10mm x 7.2 crop factor (or thereabouts), you are still talking about 72mm range at the lowest end. not wide angle.

as richard mentioned, a search on this topic will cough up a ton of info. the wildlife forum has many discussions, since wildlife is the most common application for super telephoto.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #199
Regular Crew

EF adaptor

Thanks for that guys.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #200
Regular Crew

It's true that the lenses are magnified by the EF adapter. It can be great for wildlife shots.

However, it is an excellent way to hook your camera body to telescope or microscope (sans lens) where you can greatly vary the magnification with eyepiece projection (just a little or a whole lot).

I have yet to try my night scope!

I have an example or two here of the EF in action:

http://www.geocities.com/amjoyce2004
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #201
Regular Crew

ah... the memory

Thanks for that Andy.
The butterfly scales in your collection, was that a still from a video you shot?

The one of the road going east from Death Valley, reminds me of when we drove through there a few years ago heading toward Arizona. We stayed a few days at Panamint Springs, what a fantastic place, I would love to make a return visit.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #202
Regular Crew

No, the stills are from a Canon point-and-shoot. The microscope shots were handheld at the exit pupil limit for the ocular and zoomed in 3x in camera.

I haven't had a chance to post my XL2 microscopy yet.

Yeah, Death Valley was incredible last year with the record flower displays.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #203
New Boot

Eric,

I bought the adapter to use with my XL2. Super telephoto. It is interesting to point to a full moon. So far I feel it gives me a different perspective to play with whether it be at the macro or telephoto level.

Here is a collage of frames I shot with the adapter and a 90mm macro EF lens. Samples are flower. You can see the pollen grains and the inside of the center of a pansy like it is another world.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1742101

Stuart
Stuart Claggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #204
Regular Crew

nice one

Thanks for that Stuart. How much in the way of control do you have? for example could you do a panning shot or would there be too much in the way of shake?

I am getting a cannon 100-400 to use with my D30, has anyone used that combination which on the XL2, would be 780 - 3120!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #205
New Boot

I have done panning with EF lenses in the 100-200mm range without much problem. I have a 50-500 lens that when it is at 500mm it is really sensitive. I have tried this with two tripod heads. With the manf 516 I could maintain good fluid pan control with a very sensitive touch. With my smaller head there was noticable difference. I must say it is pretty wild to reach out and touch someone when you are at 500mm........

Stuart
Stuart Claggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM   #206
Regular Crew

Custom mike for Xl2

Hello Andy,
Can you tell me where you got the handle and parabolic dish for the mike that you made?
Ed Bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM   #207
Inner Circle

90 mm macro

Stuart,

what 90 mm macro lens did you use with your ef adapter!! I am shooting bugs this summer for a classroom dvd for grade 4 kids. I loved your snaps.
would a 50 to 200 or uch do as good a job? would be nice to have a lens do dual service if possible.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #208
New Boot

ND filter with EF adapter

I just tried out a new EF lens adapter with a Canon 70-200 f4 lens on my XL2. I had to stop down to f32 (smallest setting) in afternoon sun. Are ND filters commonly used this setup? I searched the forms before buying the adapter and didn't see any reference to this. With my 20D still camera the lens operates at normal fstop ranges. Is something going on I don't understand?

Thanks, Dave
David Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #209
Major Player

Sure...

Try a minimal ND filter. Perhaps a shutter speed one level higher than usual. If you are 30p, try 1/60 shutter. Also, -3db is great for outdoor use. You might try a light absorbing Cpol filter as well.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #210
New Boot

I'm shooting -3 and 60i. I am just amazed that XL2 seems to be so sensitive. What's the difference between the chips in the XL2 and the 20D? I'm going to run some more tests in the morning, if I get time.
David Fix is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders