Poll: Will you buy the XL2? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Aren't they referring to the focus issues that the 16x lens supposedly had on the XL1, and wondering if there is an issue like that with the new lens?
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #47
Obstreperous Rex

Not all 16x auto lenses had that issue. In years and years of handling these things I can count on one hand the number of duds that I have come across. My point is how can you judge it if you haven't tried it. Forget the internet, forget the Watchdog and these boards. What is your own personal experience. That's what counts. You don't know until you have it in front of you, that's my point.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #48
Regular Crew

I agree 100%, Chris. Everything right now is just speculation. Ultimately, we all have to determine on our own whether a particular cam meets our needs. And I never had the focus problem. I just knew that a number of people have claimed to have focus problems. For the most part, the XL1 lived up to my expectations (other than low light performance).
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #49
Wrangler

My XL1 is good for 90% of what I shoot. If I'm doing a short film, I can borrow a DVX100 easily to get the 24p. Sure I'd love to have both in the same package, but I think I'm going to keep saving up for a larger chip camera, or a downpayment on a house.

My other issue is that I'd really need two if I was going to get one, since I would no longer have matching cameras (assuming the XL2 footage looks different than the XL1), and for the price of two, I'd rather just keep saving for a used DSR500, or said downpayment on house.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #50
Warden

Who needs a house? You can't take pictures with a house.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Definitely, I'm planning to get one once it comes out here in Canada. I've invested too much on the XL1 already (10 BP945s, 1.6 Extender, 3X lens, Fish Eye lens, .7X lens, Matte box).
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #52
Major Player

I'm not a fan of the Canon form factor, it's just not mobile enough. But it's got everything you'd want on an SD cam.

I'll wait till October. Maybe Panny will fire a dvx100b with 16x9 native. They've got the chips.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #53
Major Player

Why October?

Why wait until October? Is that the annual 'new car rollout' for DV camcorders?
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #54
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Who needs a house? You can't take pictures with a house. -->>>

Jeff, you have to come with me next time I visit my parents. :)
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #55
Wrangler

I don't really have a "need" to purchase an XL2. But everytime I stopped at the DV Expo booth, I got a sudden urge and lust to have one.

They really are beautifully designed in person.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #56
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Chris, that's what I was thinking. How can anyone who hasn't even used the camera, go on saying there is a focus issue. Was there one with the Xl1s (Not xl1)?

Aaron -->>>

Aaron and Chris, I have used my XL-1(not S) for over 2 years now and yes there is a focus issue!!!!

You zoom in adjust the focus and pull out, it looses the focus even if it set to manual, this has been the most reported issue with the XL-1.
Also the auto focus is horrible and slow, unlike the Sonys.

I hope Canon resolved these issues with the XL-2
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM   #57
RED Code Chef

Elie: the "problem" you are reporting was with the lens, not
the camera. So your last line should read:

"I hope Canon resolved these issues with the 20x lens"

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM   #58
Major Player

I dunno, I like the fact that everything is backwards compatible. BUT, I didn't start out with the XL1/XL1s, I started out with the GL1. So, if I wanted to get an XL2, I'd be starting out from scratch and the only things that carry over are the batteries. This would have been a sure buy if I had the XL1/XL1s for a few years and had a few XL1/XL1s lense and adapter purchases under my belt. But, I'd be starting anew.

This makes it harder for me to decide on wether to get one, I'd say "Ah, snew it!" and buy the camera when it comes out and thus be known as an early adopter, or sacrificial lamb, your pick. =)

I worry about HD though, I know HDV isn't ALL THAT, but it just might be the way of the future for HD consumer video. Plus, I'm one of those that does plan on putting some of my movies onto film because I'm wanting to be an actor/director and I'll need an indie hit to be successful these days <=P. So that's an issue because "HD" = more resolution = better film blowup. 24p helps a ton but I don't know if it is enough. Then again, I may be aiming too high and wanting too much out of this camera.

The low light issue is fine, I don't care if it's 5.5lux, just add more light! =D I do like that it is 24p though, but I need to actually see what 24p looks like, in person, to make a surefire decision.

In the end, I see it as this, I may get an XL2 eventually. Either when it comes out, Christmas, or by my next birthday (which is in June). However, if I do wait until my next birthday, then most of the new cameras should be out and they should be HD/HDV or whatever and there could possibly be an XL2s or a slightly "fixed" XL2 out by then, or hell, even an HD XL2, I dunno. So, that's my dilemma, plus I've got school to think about, I won't have too much time to make movies then what with all the studying and girls. ;)

Well, that's my long winded take, enjoy!
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM   #59
Trustee

I'd almost gamble that if you don't get an Xl2 in the first 6 months, other better competitor cams will be out. Apart from maybe the interchangeable lens system of course. It wouldn't even surprise me if it was 3-4months after!

Aaron
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I'll buy one

I'll buy one as soon as the price settles, lets say Spring 2005 or so but by then I'm sure Sony will have the HD cam out. Not that I will be shooting HD anytime soon but its something to think about.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders