Why can't I use both inputs and hear both R and L at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Why can't I use both inputs and hear both R and L

I don't get it!

Why does the 2nd XLR input only send audio to either the left or right side? Why don't both XLR inputs go to right and left?

If you plug a mic into the XLR input to the left, you can hear audio on both right and left sides, but if you plug it into the XLR on the right you only get one side. WHY!

Am I missing something???

I just want to use two different mics in each XLR input and have them both in the right and left side. Why can't I do this with the XL2? I can fill one side in post but why should I have to do that?

Sorry for the rant, if you can answer this question please do.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Major Player

If you use one mic, you plug it into the left port (I don't have an XL2, so I don't know what it's labeled) and you hear sound on both channels. If you add a second mic, you hear one mic on one channel and the other one on the other channel. This is so you can independently control the level of the mics, even in your NLE. If on mic is too loud, but it was mixed down so both mics were on the same channel, you would have no way to fix it. All camcorders with two XLR inputs are like this.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Sounds like you've got the audio selector in the wrong position. Did you look at page 51 and 122 in your manual?

http://thefilmlot.com/helpfulstuff/pdfs/XL2.pdf

Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, use the left channel and set the "input select" to rear, CH-1-CH2.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders