Mic attenuation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic attenuation?

Is there a MIC attenuator on the A1? With my ME66/K6 I sometimes need to use MIC ATT and manually lower the audio to maintain proper levels...ME66 supplies a 'hot' signal and cam clips excessively otherwise.

If the A1 doesn't have MIC ATT, do the manual audio levels give me more lattitude than a Sony PD-170P (w/o using MIC ATT)?
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes...there is a Mic Att switch located under the flip out screen.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Yes...there is a Mic Att switch located under the flip out screen.
Which is only for the on-board mic.

For the XLR inputs, they are on the front of the body, one for each channel.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Major Player

I use the me66/k6 on my A1 and found I do not need the Att sw on, just need to use the manual gain controls. If you are in VERY loud condidtions you may need it. DO NOT USE THE AGC. It will ramp up terribly when the is no dialog or other sounds! lots of noise.

I have to use ATT constantly on my DVX100
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Wrangler

Use MIC ATT with the ME66 and the noise will not ramp up nearly as much with AGC. The ME66 is a hot mic, and this can cause soem intersting issues with AGC.

With a hot mic, during average level program material the AGC is reducing gain significantly, but during period of quiet in the program material the AGC brings up the gain and you can hear the mic's self noise. Depending on the particulars, this could result in a noise floor that is perhaps 39 or so dB below progam material. With MIC ATT on, the self noise input is efectively cut by 20 dB, and program material will cause smaller overall excursions of the AGC resulting in improved signal to noise ratio.

Gain controls are after the input preamp. A hot mic with loud sound can drive the preamp into clipping even if gain controls reduce redcord level. Using MIC ATT reduces the chance of preamp clipping with loud sounds and hot mics. THe user has to judge results with thir setup and program material to detemine which works best for them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders