Some Basketball Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Some Basketball Video

Here is some stuff I filmed at my college during a game this week. There it was filmed in 60i. There is a 1080 60i WMV version and a deinterlaced 720P WMV Version. Was filmed mainly by hand but I had a monopod on for some of it. I notice when I whip around the camera when the St. Leo (green team) is taking a 3 pointer a lot of motion blur. I checked the tape going from the camera to my TV and it is much cleaner than in my compressed version so I guess I need to work on that to improve it. Just thought it would be nice to post some sports video shot with a A1.

1080 60i
http://www.phenious.com/Basketball-HD-1080i.wmv (82MB)

720 24P
http://www.phenious.com/Basketball-HD-720p.wmv (51MB)

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; January 19th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I watched the 720p version.
It played smoothly but the 24F action appeared very choppy to me. Also at almost every fade/transition, there was a flash of some other scene included.

Since it was compressed into Windows Media, I assume you aren't using something like Final Cut? Will your editor allow you to drag the 24F footage straight into a 23.98fps or 24fps time line without having to "deinterlace"?

But good scenario for using the camera.
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I did the work in Adobe Premiere. I probably exported the least optimal way by using the deinterlace feature in the media encoder. I am still trying to figure out the best way to share all this new HD stuff. Much more complicated that sharing my SD stuff. I am currious if you are using a mac as my mac shows the same problems you talk about but when I watch the wmv on my PC the glitches and such during a crossfade seem to show less but are still there. I still am trying to figure out the best workflow for me.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek
Here is some stuff I filmed at my college during a game this week. There it was filmed in 60i. There is a 1080 60i WMV version and a deinterlaced 720P WMV Version. Was filmed mainly by hand but I had a monopod on for some of it. I notice when I whip around the camera when the St. Leo (green team) is taking a 3 pointer a lot of motion blur. I checked the tape going from the camera to my TV and it is much cleaner than in my compressed version so I guess I need to work on that to improve it. Just thought it would be nice to post some sports video shot with a A1.

1080 60i
http://www.phenious.com/Basketball-HD-1080i.wmv (82MB)

720 24P
http://www.phenious.com/Basketball-HD-720p.wmv (51MB)
Nice footage Josh, aside from the footage, the place looks very familiar, I seem to recall shooting a graduation there 2 years ago when my wife walked for her BS. Did that on my GL2, have to say that it pales in comparasin to the A1 footage you shot there.
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I also have shot a Graduation in that gym (Rollins College) last year with my GL2 as well! I also have to say it didnt look as nice. I really like what I am getting with the XH-A1 and every day I play a little more the video seems to get better :)

Sweet, CSTV (cstv.com) just used some of my footage from this game in their opening to today's televised game! :)

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; January 20th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
New Boot

hmm

why does this look interlaced to me and nobody else?

nm, i thought he said he deinterlaced it
Dan Bullerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I think for most things that I will want to use my self will be shot in one of the frame modes because I think it looks better on the computer which is where most of my stuff will be used. But for this I used 1080i.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Josh,

Thanks for providing this footage here.

I would recommend 60i for shooting sports with the XH A1. The frame modes just don't look as fluid for sports work. If the Canon supported 60p...that'd be a different story.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't think I'm seeing the same clips as other people.

The 720p stuff looks great. I'm assuming the "p" means 24F.

The 1080i stuff looks terrible, it's interlaced and choppy. In fact, it barely even plays on my computer.
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Yeah I think the 1080 Stuff takes a WHOLE lot of power to play on a computer. And I agree on the PC the De-Interlaced 720 stuff looks much better but The 60i on my HDTV from my camera looks awesome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders