Deactivated image stabilisation: is it completely switched "off"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Deactivated image stabilisation: is it completely switched "off"?

Shooting with deactivated image stabilisation does not look as if it is totally "off". I am wrong?
By the way: What happens mechanically when image stabilisation is deactivated?
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

When shooting in Green Box (easy recording) mode, image stabilisation is actually on even though it might be turned off in the menu! Otherwise, maybe you're just talented in the skill of holding a camera steady by hand? I would like to think that's the case. A good test is to see how still you can get the image with OIS switched off while zoomed into full telephoto...?

I'm not sure, but I think when image stabilisation is deactivated, the Lens Shift mechanism returns to its center default position and doesn't move, making it transparent to the image acquisition process. But that's just a guess. Lens Shift uses two different image movement detection methods, gyro and vector, and it's probably safe to assume that they're simply switched off when OIS is disabled.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Otherwise, maybe you're just talented in the skill of holding a camera steady by hand? I would like to think that's the case. A good test is to see how still you can get the image with OIS switched off while zoomed into full telephoto...?.
I am flattered, thank you!
Seriosly, I have been shaking the A1 (OIS switched OFF) and it looks like there is a very slight motion delay followed by an acceleration, in principle like in OIS "on"-mode, but very damped.
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I belieive this is the same thing I have seen on 2 different A1's. To me it looks like pulsing 2x per second.
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann
I am flattered, thank you!
Seriosly, I have been shaking the A1 (OIS switched OFF) and it looks like there is a very slight motion delay followed by an acceleration, in principle like in OIS "on"-mode, but very damped.
Hi Michael. Is it possible this is just viewfinder lag?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Richard, I am not quite sure, since I did not record my "test shaking" yet, just watched it on the viewfinder. But I am going to verify this.

Last edited by Michael Mann; December 22nd, 2006 at 09:37 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Meanwhile I have recorded some "test shaking" with OIS switched OFF (25F, 1/50). The shaking looks very "good" (normal) in playback, like in good old shaky handheld 16 mm days.

So I got probably irritated by the delay of the display, which I find very noticable, compared to my sold FX1. But the A1 probably has to compute just a little more ...

Last edited by Michael Mann; December 22nd, 2006 at 11:24 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Glad to hear that. Its no fault.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders