Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #241
Major Player

Steve,

Thanks for sharing...fun stuff.

As strange as it sounds......I was looking for a bigger crowd..with a noisy background etc. that would give a person a feeling that this was a big, noisy nightclub. My guess is that a big, noisy, nightclub would not be easy to re-recreate.

Besides that, the angle of the shots, the sound, the dialogue and the action would give this viewer an impression that this was a multi-camera shot done by a more pro group.

Thanks for letting this rookie comment.

Take care.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #242
Regular Crew

hahaha... I just watched it again. Funny stuff.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #243
Regular Crew

HEY! A Northern Shorts film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdk17rIeLFs

This is the first official item I shot with my A1. As with all projects there are things that one wishes turned out differently, but I am happy with the attempt.

The video quality is mediocre on Youtube compared to the original but it is not too bad.

Hope you guys and gals enjoy.

2 minutes, 12 seconds.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Legere; December 10th, 2007 at 12:04 PM.
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #244
Regular Crew

"Hey"

Pretty funny. I liked it. I also like that you get your camera and your out there in a hallway shooting a funny idea.
That's the way to do it.
Sean Sanczel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #245
Regular Crew

Thanks Sean,

I wasn't sure if it was well recieved by those who have watched it from this post.

I hope to punch out more shorts in the future and improve each time. This one took about an hour to shoot.

Glad you liked it Sean.

Jay
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #246
Regular Crew

two new video with canon A1

I try to play the first video with my camera Canon A1, preset 18, using my cat "lusi" as actor and then I went to the mountain (Bardonecchia -Italy) to try outdoor.
Now you could see them...here:

http://vimeo.com/367533

and other:

http://vimeo.com/360714
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #247
Major Player

The First one: What kinda tripod are you using? it looks like its some sort of bolt action and it keeps sticking. Id suggest a new fluid tripod. Than maybe do some zooms while your panning. Great look and soundtrack though =)

The Second One: Maybe its my computer? but its really badly dropping frames. But i am on a Power Mac. BUt could be me. Nice shots.
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #248
New Boot

Soft City Lights XH-A1 Web Project

Hey folks,

I've started a website at www.softcitylights.com that is basically mini-documentaries featuring Cincinnati based artists and musicians. I've put the first one online including a download in 720p. Check it out if you can and I'd love any feedback you might have. All shot with the XH-A1.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Bayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #249
Regular Crew

Hi Loren, in the first movie I used a Manfrotto 503hdv tripod, but I used it more fast and with no fluid moviments.
Thank you for your other comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
The First one: What kinda tripod are you using? it looks like its some sort of bolt action and it keeps sticking. Id suggest a new fluid tripod. Than maybe do some zooms while your panning. Great look and soundtrack though =)

The Second One: Maybe its my computer? but its really badly dropping frames. But i am on a Power Mac. BUt could be me. Nice shots.
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #250
Major Player

walk-on style website & videos shot with my A1

I created this website for my buddy and shot four short video segments to overlay on four of the pages. http://www.inspectionadvantage.com/

I made a bracket to turn the cam 90 degrees, then shot him full-length on my greescreen in 30F. Footage was keyed with Keylight in After Effects, then I cleaned up the audio and made the alpha FLVs with Premiere Pro CS3. Flash was used to create the skin and set the FLVs to progressive download.

I coded everything by hand, but am really just a hack at HTML and CSS. I don't typically do websites except my own domains, but wanted to try out this "walk-on" style technique.

I'm finding that A1 footage keys very well and will offer this "walk-on" website service to my clients. The hardest part of the process is getting a good long take, since any editing at all would spoil the illusion. I don't have a prompter, but might have to invest in one if these videos prove successful.

Cheers,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Longmont, CO USA
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #251
Major Player

I am currently working on a tutorial for this effect for fun. Have you considered having the person walking across the content. Most of the time when I talk to non film people they are more impressed with the video when the person is actually on top of content and then walks off. The key looks really good by the way :) The only add I can think of would be to use a shotgun mic to get rid of the lav mic to keep the clean look you have.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #252
Major Player

Hey Josh, thanks for the reply. I really think I'd need a cyc greenscreen to do someone walking. Just the static full-body shoot takes my whole 10'x20' muslin screen. Having to keep the talent a good 5' away from the screen (to avoid shadows) eats up most of the screen.

Have you seen any good tips (or sites) that deal with actual walking chroma keys? The "walk-on" vids I've seen lately by Rovion, etc. just pop-up, similar to mine. Some aren't even full-body.

If I get a bigger boom, I could sure hang my Rode hyper right down near the talent's head. That's a great idea.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #253
Regular Crew

I would love a tutorial on this. Anybody have one or know where I can find one?
Robert Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #254
Major Player

Hopefully I will post one in the next week :p One thing to keep in mind is that you only need the area around the tallent to still be on the green screen. You can do a garbage mat around the non green screen bits to get rid of it. I did a very quick and dirty test yesterday using Ultra for the first time. Just filmed and keyed with a rinkled green screen. Will try and do a full body walk on with my 10'*15' screen next.

For fun you can check out the first time I tried to do a green screen with a bedsheet and some home depot lights and a GL2

http://www.simplethoughtproductions....een-chromakey/
Attached Images

Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #255
Regular Crew

Short movie "Refuse" (2007) with Canon A1

This is my new short movie for test, it is called "Refuse".
I used 1080/25f , shutter 1/50, gain 0, preset n.18 (Panalook).
I recorded it in Turin town - Italy
Please, tell me all indications and toughts about it, thank you.

you could see iy here:

http://www.vimeo.com/460153
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders