Which is best for multi-cam live recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Which is best for multi-cam live recording?

Is the A1 or G1 better for multi-cam live HD recording? I know the G1 has the jackpack but is this necessary to have for multi-cam recording? Could the A1 suffice and if so, what should I use to to mix and/or capture the footage? Thx
James Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

The G1 w/gen lock and time code going to a switcher with HD SDI....
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Gen locking multiple cameras is the only way to go for a live mix. By Gen locking all cameras scan lines will be synchronized, and all cameras will have the identical white balance provided a waveform monitor/vector scope is used. That's what the "jack-pack" does.

I haven't had the need to use a video switcher in a long time, but I remember some digital switchers used an electronic delay to smooth out the difference in scan timing between cameras. Seemed to be acceptable for some S-VHS cameras. Pretty much useless for higher quality formats, as I remember.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Tourist

Even though...

I need the genlock even though I am not recording to two separate tapes. I thought that I would need the gen-lock so that in post, I could match the tapes up with ease. With the multi-cam setup I was hoping to have, I would be recording to one master tape using the mixer to go between two cameras all on the spot with no post work. If this is possible with the A1's what tools would I need? Thx
James Cromwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders