Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #271
Major Player

http://stores.ebay.com/battery-source-INC

Good shipping (DHL) and cheap prices... From what I can tell they seem to be a reasonable amount of quality...
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #272
Regular Crew

Found this on Amazon. Definitely not a good set of reviews: http://www.amazon.com/7-2-Volt-Li-Io...836601&sr=8-15
Phil Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #273
Major Player

Can't understand why one can afford a $3000 over camera and yet is willing to risk it for a 50 dollar battery?

My guess is that you haven't seen a melted battary in a XHA1, well I can tell you it is not a pretty sight. I saw my friends one melted inside the XHA1 and I can tell you the repairs is going to cost you more then you think you ever save on a third party battery.

Even insurance doesn't cover it. So for the piece of mind, I bought the original canon battery. At least I can sleep at night when I charge the battery.
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #274
Major Player

After reading those reviews, I should review the 2nd reviewer :)) I mean, drilling a hole in the battery to get it out? I wonder how long it took to come up with that brilliant idea? :-\

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #275
Regular Crew

Another XHA1 question for battery and lights

Well I am just about ready to order the camera but wanted to know if the Impact batteries are any good or if I should stick with Canon batteries. Also what do you use for an on board light with this camera?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #276
Major Player

A number of people have had issues with 3rd party batteries not fitting properly and having a little trouble getting the batteries out. Some have resorted to adding bits of gaffers tape to the battery to give you a tab to pull on. I personally use a Large Power 2000 3rd party battery and have no issues and it ejects just fine without issues.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Ok, I will stick with Canon brand then. Any thoughts on a on board light?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #278
New Boot

On board light

Hi Kevin
I use an IDX X3 35watt output for 11 watts in. LED so nice and cool. nice and light as well.
No problems, distributed here in Aus with barn doors and filters. If you don't need a 100watt cook top I recommend it.
Malcolm OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #279
Major Player

I have a mix of impacts and canon batteries. I think the impact lasts a bit longer between charges. Overall I'm very happy with the battery life with the A1. I did have an impact for my HV20 that died within 6 months- I think it's still under warranty though.

For a light I the Varizoom Swift S-2010 which can be purchased with the canon adaptor so you can use a standard Canon camera battery to run. The adaptor mounts on the camera handle. Light has a dimmer and 4 way barn door, filter, diffuser. Here's the B&H link but I don't see the canon adaptor, only the sony.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Brand_Varizoom
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #280
New Boot

Impact battery do lasts longer than the canon since it's a higher capacity bat, costs alot cheaper, and works like a charm (no issues whatsoever like the ones mentioned above). I got the Impact IMBP970 BP-970 Battery Pack - 7.2v, 7200mAh for $99.95 @ bhphotovideo.com.

If you are looking for the bang for the buck set of lights then go for the Anton Bauer ANUL26 UL2-6 Ultralight w/ ANULSB UL-SB SoftBox. I got these from the same place as well. As recommended from other threads, use this with 35w bulbs.
John Cusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #281
Major Player

Impact batteries are a gamble as are some of the other after market brands. I have one for my A1 that works great and I have some for my Canon still cameras that work great too. However, I also have 2 Impacts that don't work because they don't fit right. It's a hard choice because when they work, the Impacts are a lot cheaper.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #282
Wrangler

I have used Lenmar after market batteries over the years with success. No noticeable difference between them and similar rated Canon in XL1 or GL1. However, be aware that some older Lenmar models (e.g., the LIC941) may not fit the A1 because they are a hair too large for the compartment. The LIC950 fits, and I hear the LIC970 fits, and appear to work OK in the A1.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #283
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cusi View Post
If you are looking for the bang for the buck set of lights then go for the Anton Bauer ANUL26 UL2-6 Ultralight w/ ANULSB UL-SB SoftBox. I got these from the same place as well. As recommended from other threads, use this with 35w bulbs.
John, the UL2-6 is a 12volt light and has a powertap connector, the XHA1 is 7volt and no PT out, how are you powering that light?
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #284
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
John, the UL2-6 is a 12volt light and has a powertap connector, the XHA1 is 7volt and no PT out, how are you powering that light?
Scott, this is what i use to power up the ultralight2:

Anton Bauer Digital DIONIC 90 Lithium Ion Battery 14.4V 90 WH. I've been using this battery before at work so I didn't have to put up with the cash.
John Cusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #285
Major Player

Batteries Question - GL2 to A1?

Can you use batteries from a GL2 in an XH A1? I see that they fit, but the specs are a little different, and BH doesn't cross reference them.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders