Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #196
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yager View Post
Check that manual. That door comes off.
I tried to pull it off with a screwdriver and hammer... No luck... Just kidding... I don't believe it is suppose to be removed...
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM   #197
Regular Crew

elipz with XL-1

I just got the Anton Bauer system for my XL-1. I had a belt mounted Bescor battery that gave decent battery life (maybe 3-4 hours) but it weighed a tonne.
Anyway, I have been using the elipz for the past three days and have been very pleased with it. Now admittedly the XL-1 is a heavier and possibly more power hungry beast than the XH-A1, but the battery pack itself is very lightweight and I didn't feel that it added any weight to the overall rig.
I also really like the fact that I just don't need to worry about running out of juice. As is the case with all external batteries I've used, you lose the battery meter function in the camera and there's no real level indicator on the battery pack itself other than a "have charge" light - I would prefer a Mac-style battery meter on the battery.
The other advantage is being able to run the elipz on-camera light at the same time with no additional battery. The biggest issue I found is that the system uses a stacking power connector and the connector for the light is quite lose. Unfortunately, this has to go in before the camera's dummy battery connector and I found myself unplugging everything inadvertently on a couple of occasions. This is nothing that can't be solved by velcro tape or gaffer tape, but it is in my opinion a design flaw. Power connectors should really be locking.
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #198
Major Player

Silly Battery question

I am about to purchase an XH A1 as I have sold one of my XL2 cams, I just wondered if someone could tell me if my XL2 batteries will work with the XH A1. What model comes with the A1? Are they interchangeable with the XL2? Thanks.J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #199
Major Player

The A1 runs on a BP-930G/950G/970G, as does (I believe) the XL2.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #200
Trustee

I kept my 2 spare batteries when I sold off my XL2, and am using them with the A1. And the charger that comes with the A1 is the same part number as the XL2 charger.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #201
Wrangler

Note that some third party batteries, e.g., some Lenmar LIC 941, may be a very tight fit in the XJ A1 battery compartment, requiring some gaffer tape to pull it out.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #202
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #203
Regular Crew

The battery, BP941, from my older GL-1 also slips right in and works fine with my A1. The reason that I tried it was because it looked identical to the extra Li-ion battery that I purchased with my new camera.

Don
Don Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #204
Major Player

Aftermarket battery warning

I purchased a 6000mAh aftermarket battery (price was too good to pass up), and thanks to this forum, I knew ahead of time that it would be a tough fit. What I did BEFORE inserting the battery, was to put some thin 'Scotch' type tape across the top and the rear, attaching them so that they create an artificial 'pull-tab' at the rear of the battery. I don't believe it will last a long time, but it makes the battery removal much less stressful. I'm thinking of gluing some sort of pull tab on the back that would fold (so as not to interfere with the battery door). Anyone have other suggestions?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #205
Major Player

Oren, the scotch tape bit won't last. I did that in the beginning until it just couldn't cut it anymore.

Use a good quality gaffer tape (not duct tape). See pic below.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XH batteries / battery thread-pulltab.jpg  
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #206
Regular Crew

On camera light that accepts XH-A1 batteries?

Hello Experts!

I wonder if this LED lights takes the same batteries as XH-A1? If not, Swit, or any other light manufacturer, please design one, there is a market!

Kind regards Erik

http://www.swit.co.uk/index.php?cPat...d9354afe7a1808

"S-2010C For Canon Camcorders

S-2010C On Camera LED DV Light for use with Swit S-8945 Batteries and Canon BP Style batteries.
For use with Canon XL1, XL2 and XLH1 Camcorders. Includes the S-7200C Canon Style Battery Mount Adapter."
£264.38 inc VAT
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #207
Regular Crew

You'll pay a good deal more for them, but the Litepanels DV Camera Lite Kit allows for the use of Canon batteries.

I just got 2 VidLed Deluxe lights and while they don't use Canon batteries (they have internal batteries) I am more than happy with them. Besides the addition of the Canon battery would only add weight and that kind of defeats the purpose of the A1.
Nate Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #208
Regular Crew

I have the Swit LED S2010 with my A1. Excellent choice. It includes a special device for the A1s battery.

Anyway you will have to check where to handle it (it includes a clamp to attach it to a tripod or camera grip and a thread that i use to attach it to the Multirig).

The battery adds a little weight to the camera, but anyway with the Canon wide angle converter the A1 becomes a difficult camera to use handheld. Thats why i have a Multirig Pro stabilizer. Problem solved!
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #209
Trustee

Varizoom ~ SWIT

We reviewed the Varizoom S2000-series LED lights some time ago, I understand they are made by SWIT (same kit, different logo). I love 'em. I have two of the LED kits with Sony battery adapters. Options include Sony, Canon, JVC, or Panasonic battery adapters. Or a simple power tap.

You can get them at B&H for under $380.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #210
Regular Crew

Lenmar LIC941 Battery Stuck in my A1...

Hello,

I just purchased the Lenmar LIC941 battery. It slid right into the A1 but now doesn't want to come back out. Any suggestions? Is this battery really not intended for this camera?
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders