Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Canon's info is 24F and 30F, and it is already determined that the GH cameras will use the same CCD block as the XL H1, so F mode it is. So the "24p" quoted elsewhere is irrelevant. BTW, that's what you get for going to other sites. DV INFO has the INFO and direct links to official information. ;-)
haha,
Well, mistakes happen.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #62
Major Player

JVC HD2 any money on it!

They are the first and now the last to come up with a replacement prosumer camcorder.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #63
Inner Circle

This news is great!
Canon will really sell many of these, with those features combined with that price!

Only negative thing about it is, why would many people buy the XL H1 now?
Okay it looks more pro, and you have more lens choice, but this models are cheaper, have a MANUAL IRIS RING and the expensive model has audio over the HD-SDI!

EDIT: ps, maybe this thread can be moved to the new boards about these cameras too?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
i'm betting you're not going to be able to squeeze that price out of a Z1 for long, jeff, you better unload it while you can!

it will be interesting to see how the other camera companies react. this *is* the proverbial ball out of the park, in my humble opinion. this is the ultimate travel/outdoors camera, and it will perform most excellently in the studio as well. every other HDV camera release has involved some sort of compromise for the types of work i do (too small zoom, inadequate audio set-up, no in-camera progressive option). this is the one.
I guess that means you're not accepting my offer? ;)

I agree that this will make the competition stand up and take note. The XH G1 has many of the features that I wish my Z1U had. Perhaps a new announcement from Sony in a few months?
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
It’s no successor to the GL2 but it is safe to say that this can be considered a successor to the Sony Z1u. Sony better release a successor from now until October because most people will definitely pick up the Canon XH G1 and the sales of the Z1u will be compromised. The 20X lens alone will be the deal breaker to most people.
As a Sony FX1 user, I agree, particularly with respect to the zoom issues. However, on the Sony side, we have been watching the status of the FX1, and its in and out of production rumors. Is it possible something with a dockable hard drive on board is coming, much like their consumer HD just released ??? And perhaps with 24f capability ??

We are in amazing times. The manufactureres are working overtime to try to outdo each other.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #66
Regular Crew

They are on the Canon US Website...
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Do these cameras even have a tape slot?
Yes, they do. Look at the close up of the left-hand side of the camera from Chris's XH Series Watchdog page: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/images/imgg1buttonsb.jpg You will notice the "Open" button near the top right.

Basically, any HDV camcorder is tape based at this time and records on to standard MiniDV tapes.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #68
Obstreperous Rex

That's right, if it doesn't use Mini DV cassettes, then it ain't HDV.

What I haven't found yet is the SD card slot. I'm assuming it's inside the battery well. Maybe.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #69
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
That's right, if it doesn't use Mini DV cassettes, then it ain't HDV.
LOL!!!! Spoken like a Pro!!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #70
Trustee

That's it! I'm buying two of them. I requested a budget for two Z1U's or an H1 in September. Forget it, I'll rent until these puppies hit the stores.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Hello,
The lux rating shows 7 lux . Wonder how it will hold up in low light.

My Z1U is supposedly 3 lux and still it wants lots o' light :)

Chris great site you pulled together XH's - so fast too.

Cheers
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #72
Wrangler

I’ve been in denial about being a Canon fan, but the jolt I got with these new cameras made me confront it. ;) I love Canon!!

It would be okay giving up the interchangeable lens capability for what these have, even assuming these lenses have that same Canon softness that frustrates me at times on wider shots (I still use XL1s). Love that instant AF feature!

Chris, your Watchdog pages are amazing. You “throw together” stuff real good! Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #73
Trustee

This is another big blow to the 720p format. We now have 8 1080i HDV cameras compared to the 3 720p HDV cameras. Those 3 720p cameras will be pretty much the same with just a few features added such as the HD200 and HD250. I have always been a huge fan of 720p but it is getting hard to stick with it since everything else seems to be going 1080i. Unless JVC comes out with some killer options for handheld 720p cameras I think I will have to kiss 720p goodbye.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #74
Major Player

Very nice cameras indeed. I guess if you use a mattebox you won't be able to use the secondary AF sensor thing since it will be blocked.

It might be too early to tell but I had some questions. What do you guys think?

- Do you think the on-board mic will physically interfere with a mattebox?

- If you select the constant zoom speed for the zoom rocker will it still ramp up smoothly to the set speed (and ramp down) or does it just go right to the set speed?

- Can all of the 36 zoom speeds be accessed by a remote lanc controller or will there be a proprietary Canon zoom controller?
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #75
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I’ve been in denial about being a Canon fan, but the jolt I got with these new cameras made me confront it. ;) I love Canon!!
Stop it NOW! - Canon have got this just so right for me. Interchangeable lenses . . . ? Oh well.

But look at the specs of the 3-Ring WITH the 20 zoom PLUS a 1/3 chip, and me with my sorry 1/4 on my XM2.

I've been badgered and bullied "When yah gonna step up to HDV then G?" . .well, Lorinda, when Canon come WITH a design that fits me . . Mr.C, I really think you've done it this time! I really think you do.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders