Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 25th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
I just noticed it has XLR inputs. These cameras could give Panasonic cameras(HVX200/DVX100) some competition. Hmmm... I wonder if thats just for th XH-G1 model?
It looks to me that both units have XLR inputs. Notice the A1 has a microphone clamp on it. Also, more importantly, on the Japanese spec sheet, XLR inputs specs apply to both units. As Greg mentioned the main differences only seem to be the G1 has HD/SD-SDI, Genlock and TC-In/Out.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #17
Wrangler

Just found another tidbit in the menu settings/defaults table. You can reverse the ring direction for Zoom, Focus, and Iris. Looks like the lens has manual ring control for all three functions. This, ladies and gents, is a first for a camcorder in this class to the best of my knowledge. It's certainly a first for Canon.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

"Sweet!!! 24f in a compact package!!! I know what I'm buying when it comes out!"

Actually judging from the one picture with a hand on it, and comparing it to my FX1, it appears the size is about the size of the FX1. Anybody see size and weight ?
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #19
Christopher Brown

Weight

2030 grams for the A1
2100 grams for the G1
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

From the FX1 user viewpoint, I would love to have the 20x zoom...
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #21
Major Player

This is the low-down

my japanese is not the best but this is what I read

XH G1 and A1 are basically the same model both produce HDV spec2 1080i footage, like its bigger brother the XLH1 it can also record in 24f and 30f psuedo formats.

The biggest difference between them are:

XH-G1, HD:SDI and GENLOCK are available but the A1 does not have those features. To have the uncompressed HD:SDI option will set you back a further 250 000 yen, as the G1 goes for 800 000 yen (US $6800) and the A1 goes for 550 000 yen (US $4700).

Very similiar to their big brother, the H1, they also more than likely share the same CCD's 1440/1080.

But maybe Kaku can read into it more.
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Brown
2030 grams for the A1
2100 grams for the G1
The FX1 comes in at 2000 so they are similar weights.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #23
Trustee

Like a lot of you I’m very excited that we are seeing new camcorders from Canon and I’d rather have this than the Z1u even though the design was somewhat copied but there is one problem. Where is the successor to the GL2? Who knows, this may be an indication that it will come out soon.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Where is the successor to the GL2?
I'm fairly certain that these are the successors to the GL2.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
I'm fairly certain that these are the successors to the GL2.
Indeed.
When Canon released the XL2 they'd said that it would be the last DV camera, at least when addressing their prosumer cameras (XL/GL).
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #26
Trustee

The specs of these new cameras look stunning. I have a feeling that Canon may well wipe the floor with the competition with this one. I'm not a fan of carrying exra stuff, but by using the HD-SDI and a device like the Bonsai drive you'd have a very portable way of recording 4:2:2 high def in difficult conditions. For documentary where you need to travel with the camera this is going to be very nice indeed.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #27
Wrangler

Very exciting news, indeed! This camera even has at least one new feature that the XL H1 doesn't have: sky detail (presumably a variant of "skin detail").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
Very similiar to their big brother, the H1, they also more than likely share the same CCD's 1440/1080.
I can't pick out anything about sensors; can any of you who can read Japanese? I'm wondering now if they'll stick to 1/4" pixel-shifted sensors as with previous GL series cameras, or manage to squeeze in 1/3" chips that have previously been the domain of the XL series? If they use the same chips as the XL H1, the declared flagship will have too little an advantage over its smaller and less expensive sibling, which from a marketing point of view one would think the company wouldn't want to do.

Can't wait to get further info and better yet, play with one!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I can't pick out anything about sensors; can any of you who can read Japanese? I'm wondering now if they'll stick to 1/4" pixel-shifted sensors as with previous GL series cameras, or manage to squeeze in 1/3" chips that have previously been the domain of the XL series?
According to this page the specs match up.
The ●1/3 type entire picture prime approximately 1,670,000 pixel, adopting the 3CCD system of the effective picture prime 1440×1080. The high resolution, horizontal resolution 800TV book of HDV standard highest level was actualized.
- Adjusting to hi-vision age, it evolved throughput loading “DIGIC DVII” substantially. Color reproducibility and the rich gradation reproducibility which are superior are actualized.
- The high picture quality record of HDV/playback is made possible with the optimum encoding processing of the CANON individual HD codec LSI.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #29
New Boot

They actually managed to squeeze in 3 1/3" ccds in this lovely camera. Just have a look at the
spec sheet.
I really really want this cam. At first I thought i'd go with Sony for my upcoming video biz, but I now I have to wait for the canons to hit the market.
Since I'm planning to shoot weddings and events with poor, aviailable light i have to look at their low-light performace...

Ah and btw: Hi, i'm Oliver from Austria and i'm new to dvinfo.
Oliver Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #30
Wrangler

A couple goodies for you to look at while we await more info..

-gb-
Attached Thumbnails
Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1-xha1-left.jpg  
Attached Images

Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders