GL3 part 2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #46
Major Player

ok I should say I would like a native 16:9, 24p, SD in something the size of a GL2.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #47
Major Player

I just wanted a smaller camera. The XL2 looks good and if the price keeps dropping,,,,,who knows.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #48
Regular Crew

May I point out that although the LCD looks to be 16:9, the matte box still looks to be 4:3... of course it's hard to tell from that perspective, but it just doesn't seem to be wide enough.

-pasty
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #49
Regular Crew

I think Chris is just having some fun.... Now, when he actually puts up a new GL3 or GLH1 forum...........

I have an XLH1, and still have a 7-year old GL1. (an XL1, GL2 and an XL2 have come and gone as well) But if there ever is a GL-ish sized HDV, then I'm there! (Then I can let my wife use the GL1, she's been wanting to for a real long time! --I thought about giving her my FX1, but she'd just shoot another 80 hours of footage of her cat, only this tme in HD)
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #50
Major Player

I think he saw a picture and he is wondering what it is too. I doubt Canon tells many people when they have something coming out and if Chris knows he wouldn't say.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rickford
but wait the Gl2 in Japan (XV2) has always been Slate gray... please not a cruel tease at this stage?
Now would I do such a thing? And if I would do such a thing, at least it gets us thinking and talking, right...?

The XV2 has always been slate gray? What, you mean this ain't the GL3? Are we sure about that? D'oh!
Attached Images

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Maybe Sony is putting out custom color cameras, can I please have one in yellow with black stripes?
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Now would I do such a thing? And if I would do such a thing, at least it gets us thinking and talking, right...?

The XV2 has always been slate gray? What, you mean this ain't the GL3? Are we sure about that? D'oh!
if you go to some Japen Canon sites it looks just like the XV2. But on the first picture Chris posted the LCD is different.
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:56 AM   #54
Outer Circle

That pic looks like the Japanese black version of the GL2. Yes, in Japan, you can get the black one like the Pana Black Mamba a couple years back. Only in Japan. :-(
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM   #55
Major Player

ok,,,I just checked Canon's website and they extended the GL2 $250 rebate till sept 30, 2006!! What the h#%$ kind of crap is that? At least give $500 or something new.
How long are they going to hang on to this camera? I'm sure it is a good camcorder, maybe update it or something. Maybe they will still come out with a new one too,,,,but it doesn't look like it.
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM   #56
Regular Crew

The early thumbnail - I dont think thats a GL3 - looks like a photoshop to me - and hence why no larger pictures
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:28 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
ok,,,I just checked Canon's website and they extended the GL2 $250 rebate till sept 30, 2006!! What the h#%$ kind of crap is that? At least give $500 or something new.
How long are they going to hang on to this camera? I'm sure it is a good camcorder, maybe update it or something. Maybe they will still come out with a new one too,,,,but it doesn't look like it.
This is insane- how many can they still be selling???, mine went the day the FX1 came out, since then i've picked up a Z1 and A1 as well. So how far can they stretch this 'loyal' Canon fan??
I Know they have a history of keeping future releases under wraps, but if they ARE ever going to get a HDV GL2 up and running at least give us a clue.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #58
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rickford
This is insane-....... So how far can they stretch this 'loyal' Canon fan??
Damn reet Paul!! Damn Reet!!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM   #59
New Boot

I actually just bought 2 of em for the first time just the other day...
Nathan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Not to mention, I've been waiting to see their their for years (not that it is going to be worth the money by how they are charging now).

I think the answer is that the Mpeg4 and h264 issue has thrown a spanner in the works.

I think Japanese companies pursued a line of under nourished HDTV codec cameras and got caught off guard by the rising capability of processing technology, as it became obvious that HDV was not as seamless quality as MiniDV. Processing speed increases were slowing down, so they might have been planing to pursue Mpeg 2 with things like XDCAMHD. But then advances in multiprocessing would have caused them to access old Mpeg4. The rise of low cost and powered processing arrays, caused an American company (Ambarella) to leapfrog competitors and come out with a low cost (hopefully quality) H264 product that leap frogged their competitors. I understand they Japanese were surprised to see it. The HDTV industry in Europe started questioning the use of Mpeg4 for HDTV, and now the industry has defined pro H264 for broadcast (maybe it had something to do with the Ambarella tech as well). All these things could have caused delays in camera releases as they were accessed.

I suspect that Panasonic might have known something that caused them to go the h264 route much earlier.

The Ambarella cameras did not come out in March, as intended. They have wither started manufacture of chips and are stockpiling for a number of camera releases, or they are yet to ramp up production and only a few cameras will be able to be released this year in quantity. I think it is likely, that only a few consumer/low end prosumer H264 cameras will be released this year.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders